Astronomy/Dark Energy

Question
What is Dark energy and how does it work?

Answer
Hello Haleigh...and thank you for using AllExperts
As you probably know, the universe is expanding; all major structures, like groups of galaxies, are moving away from each other. Ever since that fact was discovered, scientists have thought that this expansion should be slowing down due to the gravitational interaction of all the matter in the cosmos. Instead it was recently discovered that the expansion rate is speeding up! It's as if some energy that acts like anti-gravity is at work throughout the universe. This is one of the greatest mysteries in astronomy today because no one knows how this so-called 'dark energy' actually works.

Unfortunately at this time there's no answer as to just how dark energy works.

Astronomy

Patrick Weiler