Astronomy/Dark sky in Utah area

Dear Courtney.
I plan to visit Bryce Canyon in March 2015 to take pictures of the Milky way. I'm trying to find out when there will be 'dark sky' so that I can photograph the stars. Obviously I wish to know when the moon will be visible so I can plan my trip over from England.

Best wishes

Chris Martin. Devon. England.

The Moon will be at first quarter on Feb 25 and Mar 27 2015, full on Mar 5 and Apr 4, at last quarter on Mar 13 and Apr 12, and new on Mar 20.

These dates were taken from the U.S. Naval Observatory site. If you want a printable table for any year, just visit

Courtney Seligman

I can answer almost any question about astronomy and related sciences, such as physics and geology. I will not answer questions about astrology and similar pseudo-scientific rubbish.

I have been a professor of astronomy for over 40 years, and am working on an online text/encyclopedia of astronomy, and an online catalog of NGC/IC objects.

Astronomical Journal, Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific (too long ago to be really relevant, but you could search for Courtney Seligman on Google Scholar)

I received a BA in astronomy and physics and a MA in astronomy, both from UCLA. I was working on my doctoral dissertation when I started teaching, and discovered that I preferred teaching to research.

(too long ago to be relevant, but Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi still keep trying to get me to become a paying member)