Astronomy/distance to stars

I read this in a discussion group today, is there any truth to it?

some astronomers feel that it is possible that the entire universe could fit into an area within a 200 light-year radius from the earth! Therefore, there is no guarantee that the actual distances in space are as great as we have been told, and light from the farthest point in the universe could have reached us in only a few hundred years

Hi Mike

I don't know any professional astronomers who have expressed this opinion.  It would go against huge amounts of evidence that have been collected from many different sources over the past 100 years. That evidence is based on wide ranging experiments and observations by many different scientists in many different countries and disciplines, from physicists to chemists to astronomers.  

Sorry to disappoint you, but this is just rumor passed off as bad science.

Paul Wagner  

Paul Wagner

Astronomy and telescope making. Have made at least seven telescopes, both refractors and reflectors, and have spent 30 years looking at the nighttime sky.