Astronomy/Galaxies and Dark Matter

Question
What proof of the big bang theory is there? Also what is dark matter and how was it discovered?

Answer
HI Haleigh,

There are lots of different data that suggest the Universe started with the Big Bang.  The best and most direct evidence is the expansion of the Universe,  This was first discovered by Hubble, and the expansion rate of the Universe, as measured by distance galaxies, is called Hubble's Law, which provides clear evidence of an expanding Universe due to the Big Bang.  

There are other pieces of evidence, such as the cosmic microwave background.  Very early, the Universe was really hot. However, as it expanded, it cooled, and some of the energy was leftover which formed a glow in microwave wavelengths, both predicted by the Big Bang Theory.

There is also the abundance of the elements, both in how much of each they existed billions of years ago and today.  There is also the formation and distribution of galaxies, in that they are not distributed evenly around the Universe, but formed in clumps, as predicted by the Cosmic Microwave Background and the Big Bang Theory.  

Dark matter is some sort of mass that makes up most of the mass of galaxies.  This causes galaxies to spin faster than predicted with standard physics and mass, which was how dark matter was originally discovered.  The leading theory is a WIMP, a Weakly Interactive Massive Particle - a subatomic particle that doesn't interact with light but is very heavy.  Experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN in Switzerland are trying to find it, but as of now, we do not know what it is.

Peace,
Brad

Astronomy

Brad Tucker