Astronomy/Stars

Question
What is a white dwarf?

Answer
A white dwarf is the remnant core of a star.  A star is layered like an onion, with the lighter elements on the outside and heavier elements inside.  After nuclear fusion causes all of the helium to go to carbon, it stops this process and instead compresses, becoming very dense.  Since the star is not burning (converting) any more fuel, over time it will cool and the light will fade, turning it into a black dwarf.

White dwarfs started out as small stars (like our Sun to about 5 times the mass of our Sun), and are not large enough to go supernova and form a neutron star.  

Peace,
Brad

Astronomy

Brad Tucker