Astronomy/Stars

Question
What causes the difference in heat and brightness in stars?

Answer
For most stars, called Main Sequence stars, their mass determines their brightness and temperature. The more massive the star, the harder gravity squeezes the gases inside the star, which makes the gases hotter, causing them to create more energy in their deep interior through the nuclear fusion of hydrogen to helium. That extra energy makes a massive star bigger, hotter and brighter than a less massive star. On the average, doubling the mass increases the brightness of the star by a factor of ten, so a star eight to ten times the mass of the Sun is about a thousand times brighter, while a star eight to ten times less massive than the Sun is about a thousand times fainter. (At the moment my website is "down" due to a cut fiber optic line, which is why it took so long for me to receive your message; but once it is "up" you can read a bit about that at The Mass-Luminosity Diagram and Main Sequence Lifetimes (at http://cseligman.com/text/stars/mldiagram.htm ).

Once stars start to die, their brightness and temperature change in more complex ways, but for a given stage of stellar life, more massive stars are still bigger and brighter (though not always hotter) than less massive stars.

Astronomy

Courtney Seligman