Astronomy/the sun

Question
Dear Brad, could you please tell me why the sun appears to move up and down in an arch across the sky during the day, rather than in a straight line from side to side? Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hi Liz,

The combination of the Earth's tilt, its motion around the Sun, and the rotation of the Earth all combine to make the Sun appear to move through our sky.  Since the Earth spins (the reason we have daytime and nighttime) around not perfectly straight up and down, but at an angle, the Sun appears to move in arch's across the sky.  However, where you live (north or south) will depend on how it looks.  

I hope this helps.

Peace,
Brad

Astronomy

Brad Tucker