Astronomy/Name of star

Standing in the Villages,Florida (30 miles south of Ocala, FL) at 11:30 PM on April 24th, there is a very bright star in the north-west at about 60 degrees above the horizon.  What is it?

My earlier answer was completely wrong (sorry about that). I was in a hurry and tried using some online planetarium software I wasn't familiar with, and must have set it up wrong. Arcturus is high in the sky, but in the eastern sky to the right of the Big Dipper, which is to the right of Polaris, not the left. My wife is in the hospital, which is why I was in a hurry, and when I left the hospital a few minutes ago I looked around the sky to make sure of the correct answer, and realized that the object you saw high in the northwest must have been Jupiter. If you had a chance to see it tonight, the Moon was just a few degrees to the left of it. Funny thing is my original thought was Jupiter, but since it was still daylight when I sent my earlier answer I made the mistake of checking it out online (incorrectly). Good lesson for me: Never send a quick reply instead of making sure it is the correct one. If I'd waited until tonight, the reply would have been delayed, but at least it would have been correct.  

Courtney Seligman

I can answer almost any question about astronomy and related sciences, such as physics and geology. I will not answer questions about astrology and similar pseudo-scientific rubbish.

I have been a professor of astronomy for over 40 years, and am working on an online text/encyclopedia of astronomy, and an online catalog of NGC/IC objects.

Astronomical Journal, Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific (too long ago to be really relevant, but you could search for Courtney Seligman on Google Scholar)

I received a BA in astronomy and physics and a MA in astronomy, both from UCLA. I was working on my doctoral dissertation when I started teaching, and discovered that I preferred teaching to research.

(too long ago to be relevant, but Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi still keep trying to get me to become a paying member)