Astronomy/Earth orbit

Mr.Stahl, recent photo of the ISS in front of the moon, brought back the memory of a night in 1987 as I got home from work around midnight. The moon was full and bright and was nearly overhead. It lit up my yard and house, and took a look up at it to admire its beauty. Right at that moment an object passed under neath it. It was like an eight ball. Round black and shiny as the light curved around it both coming and going. No lights no sound. Looked like it was in orbit but the size seemed too big to be that far out. Any idea what this could have been? Thank you!

Your sighting sounds intriguing- but in order to really address it I'd have to see all ancillary data regarding the observation, i.e. brightness on magnitude scale, velocity or angular velocity estimate, altitude etc. Alas, I no longer give out these (NICAP) forms and tend to steer away from offering firm conclusions  because most incidents have so many variable factors that no hard and fast interpretations are possible.

Having said that, you might find this early paper of mine of interest:  

Philip Stahl

I have more than forty years of experience in Astronomy, specifically solar and space physics. My specialties include the physics of solar flares, sunspots, including their effects on Earth and statistics pertaining to sunspot morphology and flare geo-effectiveness.

Astronomy: Worked at university observatory in college, doing astrographic measurements. Developed first ever astronomy curriculum for secondary schools in Caribbean. Gave workshops in astrophysics and astronomical measurements at Harry Bayley Observatory, Barbados. M.Phil. degree in Physics/Solar Physics and more than twenty years as researcher with discovery of SID flares. Developed of first ever consistent magnetic arcade model for solar flares incorporating energy dissipation and accumulation. Develop first ever loop solar flare model using double layers and incorporating cavity resonators.

American Astronomical Society (Solar Physics and Dynamical Astronomy divisions), American Mathematical Society, American Geophysical Union.

Solar Physics (journal), The Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, The Proceedings of the Meudon Solar Flare Workshop (1986), The Proceedings of the Caribbean Physics Conference (1985). Books: 'Selected Analyses in Solar Flare Plasma Dynamics', 'Physics Notes for Advanced Level'. 'Astronomy and Astrophysics: Notes, Problems and Solutions'.

B.A. Astronomy, M. Phil. Physics

American Astronomical Society Studentship Award (1984), Barbados Government Award for Solar Research (1980), Barbados Astronomical Society Award for Service as Journal Editor (1977-91)

Caribbean Examinations Council, Barbados Astronomical Society, Trinidad & Tobago Astronomical Society.