Astronomy/universe expansion

Hi....has anyone considerred that dark matter may degrade in some way? An increase in acceleration of universe expansion could be explained by the presence of less dark matter as time goes by?
Thankyou for your response.

Hi Richard,

I'm not sure if that's actually been proposed in any peer-reviewed publication, but I don't see why that can't be viewed as one possible "explanation". Of course, we'd have to come up with a reason why that degradation should occur. What mechanism is behind it?

That said, there can be other explanations. Which is more likely? What observational evidence supports the explanation?

But let's try another attack. Suppose the universe is not accelerating. Some observations support the acceleration, but others do not. Heresy? I don't think so - it's healthy scientific skepticism. Suppose the universe is not even expanding.

It is 'generally' assumed that the Big Bang occurred some 13.7 billion years ago. Although this idea is believed to be valid by the majority of cosmologists, it is by no means universally accepted. The "Big Bang", based on Hubble's velocity-distance relation and the microwave background radiation, is very much still a theory, and there are alternative theories. Some observations do not support an expanding universe or the Big Bang. There are several references concerning this, but perhaps the most authoritative person is Halton Arp, a leading astronomer and researcher on galaxies, who wrote "Seeing Red". That book is highly recommended to get an alternative view.  Or read "A Different Approach to Cosmology" by Hoyle, Burbidge, and Narlikar.  That's another great book which gives a scientific view on how the universe has always been in a steady state. I've attached a few references from If you're interested, pick up one or more of these books. And please have an open mind. That's the way science progresses.

I hope this helps.

Prof. James Gort  

James Gort

Questions on observational astronomy, optics, and astrophysics. Specializing in the evolution of stars, variable stars, supernovae, neuton stars/pulsars, black holes, quasars, and cosmology.

I was a professional astronomer (University of Texas, McDonald Observatory), lecturer at the Adler Planetarium, professor of astrophysics, and amateur astronomer for 42 years. I have made numerous telescopes, and I am currently building one of the largest private observatories in Canada.

StarDate, University of Texas, numerous Journal Publications