Astronomy/Questions Answered by Expert Jesse Martinez

SubjectDate Asked
Northern lights south Texas1/31/2012
  Q: Jsse, I read your answer to the woman that asked about the aurora borealis over Mcallen, which is ...
  A: I do not recall that incident. However I was living 300 miles farther north at the time. Green is ...
Interpreting shadows9/28/2010
  Q: Hey Jesse, Quick bit of context. I'm a screenwriter currently writing a detective ...
  A: Alex, If the exact compass direction and the time of day were known along with the latitude of the ...
Spacetime8/4/2010
  Q: Sir, what is space and time?
  A: I see you have some previous questions for me. Be patient. I will get to them soon. Space is the ...
Cruithne "Earth's second Moon"7/28/2010
  Q: I would like to know more about "Cruithne" I'm doing a year 11 course called Research Project, I ...
  A: Greetings Raju Cruithne,is a 3 mile wide asteroid that has been described as a quasi-satellite, or ...
21 Aug 2017 solar eclipse7/24/2010
  Q: Seeing a total solar eclipse is in the top ten of my "bucket list," a list of things I'd love to do ...
  A: This is a complicated question to answer, but I will Reg. Since we have a few years, give me a few ...
Follow up question5/25/2010
  Q: If Jupiter passes behind the Sun, traveling across 2+ degrees Longitude and it takes 12 days to ...
  A: Jupiter never comes between the Earth and the sun if this is what you are implying. As I have ...
General Relativity5/23/2010
  Q: please tell me if we travel for example in 2050 AD to Proxima centauri %26 would complete our return ...
  A: The way to figure out time dilation factors between two objects moving at different speeds was ...
the end?5/22/2010
  Q: I find astronomy so very interesting, but so very difficult at the same time. My question is ...
  A: Glad to help. The world will come to an end, either by man's own hand or of old age when the sun ...
Earth-Moon relationship5/11/2010
  Q: I've heard that the Moon created the gravitational relation that stabilizes the Earth. It was hinted ...
  A: Greetings. A few definitions are in order before I continue with the reply to this question. An ...
Cosmology5/9/2010
  Q: Could the gravitational forces from dark matter which we find in space be the gravitational forces ...
  A: Wow!!! The questioner has the expert thinking! Kudos. This is how ideas are born, examined, studied, ...
the atmosphere5/5/2010
  Q: Which layer of the atmosphere do astronauts go through when they make the transition into space?
  A: The last layer they go through is called the Thermosphere. Here is a complete description of all the ...
moon's angular diameter5/3/2010
  Q: If the moon's angular diameter were .35 degrees instead of .5, what would that do to it's phases, ...
  A: There would be no change in the phases, months, tides or perigee and apogee if the mass remains the ...
Age and size of the universe4/19/2010
  Q: As shown on television, the universe is estimated to be approx. 13.7 billion years. Considering ...
  A: This question has been lingering in the pool for a while. As stated in my profile, this is the ...
Jupiter4/9/2010
  Q: Astronomers can observe Jupiter from Earth for 2 or 3 days of each calander month of the year. Yerks ...
  A: Greetings A.Pettolino. I used to spend many a night studying Jupiter. I recall several instances ...
Mars4/8/2010
  Q: I'm doing an I-search in Language Arts. My topic is about Mars and I need to interview an expert. ...
  A: In the movie "Contact" about scientists finding evidence of an intelligent civilization outside the ...
MPa & kPa4/6/2010
  Q: Which is considered a higher unit of surface pressure: MPa or kPa? I found out that Mars has a ...
  A: Abigail. MPa's are 1,000 times more than kPa's, as in any M to k relationship in the metric system ...
earth moves round the sun4/3/2010
  Q: Is there any hard evidence that the earth moves round the sun and not the sun goes round the earth ...
  A: Yes there is. I will get back to this later - do not place trust in video evidence. It is easily ...
NEPTUNE4/1/2010
  Q: WHAT ARE CHANCES THAT LIFE EXISTS OR MAY HAVE EXISTED ON PLANET NEPTUNE?
  A: The possibility is almost zero. The conditions on the planet are not friendly to life as we know it. ...
What does it mean if the world is a hologram?3/31/2010
  Q: I read from a online article, that our world may be a Hologram, I got some question about it ...
  A: What a question! I will try to be concise. A hologram is not a state of existence. It is a virtual ...
Northern lights2/28/2010
  Q: I have friends that moved to Oklahoma a few years back. Before that they lived here in McAllen ...
  A: I know your city. I lived in Edinburg and other places in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas for many ...
Astrophysics2/27/2010
  Q: How is it .... that........ no-matter which direction I choose to view the sky ( even opposite of ...
  A: Here is the answer in two parts. Basic Answer: There is a problem with the equation. If OP1 and OP2 ...
Set up of telescope2/25/2010
  Q: After taking my daughter to our nearest observatory she got interested and wanted telescope. We ...
  A: First time telescope use is not easy. I had my own problems with my first scope, which was basically ...
the creation of a sun2/24/2010
  Q: I heard that for a sun to born it takes something to trigger it to become active, and the thing that ...
  A: The gas and particles from the explosion are the medium for the wave (vibration) to travel. A ...
astronaut2/19/2010
  Q: I want to an astronaut.which subject i should read.
  A: I was young when Neil Armstrong took the first human step on the moon forty years ago. To be an ...
Constellation Research2/10/2010
  Q: Are there any stars in the Draco constellation that have planets? If their are any, which ones? What ...
  A: Greetings. There are two stars in the Draco constellation that are known to have planets. Kepler-4 ...
supergiants/other2/5/2010
  Q: i was reading recently about the red supergiant antares is 700 times larger than the sun to ...
  A: FirstPlace a penny at the base of a four story building and imagine a circle as tall as the ...
nebulas2/4/2010
  Q: A pocket watch is a reference point, for determining whether a spinning object is moving clockwise ...
  A: Nebulas don't necessarily have a spin, like galaxies do, but to answer theThe spin of any object ...
star1/26/2010
  Q: What is the first sunlike star to possess a plant?
  A: I believe you meant planet, not plant in your question. In that case I can try an answer. Stars ...
Time and Light1/24/2010
  Q: I was wondering if you would be kind enough to help me. I need a chart that shows how long Light ...
  A: There are going to be problems answering this question. The distances between the planets you ...
Star Systems1/24/2010
  Q: Why don't star systems collide more often?
  A: You have an interesting question. I think if I explain the scale of our galaxy and stellar distances ...
astronomical scale, science fiction inconsistencies1/18/2010
  Q: I am a science fiction fan, but not too well informed on the science part. I am starting to notice ...
  A: I see you have noticed the great inconsistency we knowledgeable science fiction fans have to put up ...
Gravity1/14/2010
  Q: If the sun suddenly disappeared, would it take 8 minutes to notice the gravitational effect? Same ...
  A: This is a good question. The reference to the speed c, is the key. All electromagnetic and ...
the moon's orbit1/10/2010
  Q: We live in south-central Alaska around Anchorage. In January we noticed the orbit of the moon upon ...
  A: This is a subject which can be confusing, so try to hang in there. At your latitude in the winter, ...
Sun speed1/3/2010
  Q: I am a sculptor and I have this idea for a kinetic sculpture that the top needs to be under the sun ...
  A: Greetings Alfonso, I think I understand what you are trying to accomplish. You want to have an ...
High and low tides1/1/2010
  Q: Jesse i am an avid surfer of about 20 years. I live in southern California. I have read a few of the ...
  A: Greeting Scott, First, I will tell you that the morning tides of January 2nd and 15th should be the ...
Moon rise location12/31/2009
  Q: How can I determine where the moon will rise on any certain day, especially towards the full moon ...
  A: Go to this site. You can get almost any information regarding the moon here. In the Columns drop ...
Telescopes12/26/2009
  Q: I bought a set of Nikon 7x50 binos and a Celestron Star Map for my 8 year old nephew this Christmas. ...
  A: There are two basic tiers of telescope quality for beginners. There are the mass produced lower ...
astronomy12/24/2009
  Q: how long does it take the sun to move one degree above or below the horizon? why is the twilight ...
  A: Greetings Igshaan Solomon. The sun's advance or retreat above or below the horizon depends mainly ...
Math for astronomy12/21/2009
  Q: in what order one should study mathematics topics ? especially the mathematics needed to study ...
  A: I am speaking about my experience in schools in the US. My opinion is that once you know basic ...
Universe expantion12/17/2009
  Q: Understanding that the universe is 13 to 14 billion light years in size and expanding continually my ...
  A: Greetings Mark. Lets say our universe is about 13 to 15 billion years old and 13 to 15 billion ...
Sunset at summer Solstice same location on Horizon as a full moon set on Winter Solistice?12/16/2009
  Q: A friend observed this and I recently confirmed it is fairly accurate (at least for Seattle WA) with ...
  A: It is another head scratcher. Fortunately I love these. The sun travels along a path in the sky ...
Cosmic?12/14/2009
  Q: I was wondering if you could help me with a question please, On Wednesday 9th dec, in the evening at ...
  A: I believe I can help. I do not think it is Cosmic. I have seen this before. This event does not ...
Science of an Intelligent Universe12/11/2009
  Q: Greetings Mr Martinez, My work on www.ascensionq.20fr.com is religion and science based and is a ...
  A: What a lengthy question. It did not require as many quotes as you included, but they can be helpful. ...
Universal gravitation12/9/2009
  Q: Martinez I'm confused about Newton’s law of universal gravitation and orbits in relation to ...
  A: Kepler formlulated laws about the orbits of planets. First law, they are ellipses. I believe this is ...
Models of the Universe12/2/2009
  Q: How did Tyco Brahe’s model of the universe differ from that of Ptolemy or Copernicus?
  A: Ptolemy believed the Earth was the center of the universe with all objects in the solar system ...
Solar Flare - Corona Mass Ejection12/1/2009
  Q: Please answer according to scale of 5 (as detailed as possible). Regarding Solar Cycle 24, we've ...
  A: I'd be glad to answer and comment on the question, or should I say three questions. I will answer ...
Basic Math11/27/2009
  Q: Why would the English system of units be more useful if a foot contained 10 inches? Use a math ...
  A: I see you may want another explanation. The metric system is what you should like. As explained ...
How is it that planets are travelling at perfect speed for orbit11/22/2009
  Q: How is it that planets are travelling at the perfect speed for orbit. Slightly slower and would fall ...
  A: Think of it this way. The planets have settled into the orbits that their velocities allow. Remember ...
Hubble Deep Field Galaxy Estimate11/19/2009
  Q: Why have the more distant galaxies had their light shifted from visible to infrared wavelengths? I ...
  A: Here is some background information which you may already know, but I want to make sure we are on ...
speed of a sunset at different points on the Earth11/18/2009
  Q: I was recently in Kenya quite near the equator. We watched beautiful sunsets over Lake Victoria and ...
  A: You nailed it. That is exactly right! The earth is about 24,000 miles in circumference at the ...
denob11/17/2009
  Q: How far away is the second brightest star Denob in the constellation Leo it? (in stellar distance ...
  A: Ryan, I know of a star called Denebola or Beta Leonis, the second brightest star in the ...
Leo Constallation Location early 11/1711/17/2009
  Q: btw... the email address i need the answer sent to tonight if possible is but your form wouldn't ...
  A: I think you should have gotten the answer. I don't think it takes that long.If you don't have a map, ...
  Q: i'm located 20 miles south of Phoenix. big meator shower tonight... the leonid... anyway, using n, ...
  A: Lynn, Start looking in the southeast right now. Watch where the first one you see originates from. ...
space travel11/12/2009
  Q: Why does it take so long for a probe to reach the outer solar system. I am studying physics and have ...
  A: Physics is an interesting subject. You have come across an idea that fascinates most. Yes, even slow ...
Quasars10/24/2009
  Q: Why do quasars find at the end of the Universe only?
  A: Forgive the lateness of this answer. I hope it can still be of help. I believe the question you are ...
Star Discovery10/16/2009
  Q: Who discovered the star Thuban also known as Alpha Draconis? when did he discover it? Also what is ...
  A: Interesting question. Thuban AKA, Alpha Draconis was known to the ancients. It was the brightest ...
orbital disturbance10/11/2009
  Q: What would occur if a rocket was launched from earth with enough force to push the moon further from ...
  A: Well Barry, I doubt that any rocket could exert enough force to move the moon in such a manner. Even ...
Radiation10/10/2009
  Q: 3 If Earth were completely blanketed with clouds and we couldn't see the sky, could we learn about ...
  A: If the earth was perpetually covered with the clouds you see on any overcast day when no shadows are ...
seasons10/6/2009
  Q: why is four seasons not occurring in the Philippines
  A: The Philippines, like a lot of countries near the equator, especially islands, don't experience much ...
moons of venus and mercury9/29/2009
  Q: All the planets except Venus and Mercury have moons. Any particular reason?
  A: Good question Linda, you are making me think. This was a fact I had always accepted without giving ...
southern Hemisphere9/23/2009
  Q: If you are stranded on an island and wonder where you are. After a quick look at the sky, you ...
  A: A quick look in the sky at night will show you a different sky. Take a familiar constellation like ...
Space9/22/2009
  Q: 1. Can you provide me the best pictures of space? 2. Can you get me pictures of everything and ...
  A: NASA at http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/ probably has the best selection of space ...
big bang theory9/20/2009
  Q: is there anything exist called time portal?, and my guess is that the black hole is a time portal ...
  A: The big bang theory is an attempt to explain how the universe formed. It is not one of my best ...
Astronomy9/17/2009
  Q: What would the seasons be like the the earth were tipped 35 degrees instead os 23.5? What is the ...
  A: Good question. Knowing that the Earth’s inclination on its axis affects the seasons is the key to ...
solar system9/16/2009
  Q: I work with an 11 year old autistic boy, anyway he is fasinated with the solar system, can you tell ...
  A: Here is a place where you can find some posters to print out or view: ...
Jupiter's moons9/16/2009
  Q: I read in your profile that you "rediscovered" the moons of Jupiter. with a small telescope. It ...
  A: I always like talking about this subject. First, your telescope is adequate. Some advice. You should ...
distance between planets9/15/2009
  Q: What is the distance between earth and venus? venus and mercury? mercury and neptune? neptune and ...
  A: Ok, here goes. The distances between the planets you mentioned are continuously variable. They are ...
Pluto9/13/2009
  Q: I was taught in school in Mexico that Pluto was the ninth planet in the solar system. That was over ...
  A: Three years ago, Pluto was downgraded to "dwarf planet" by general international agreement. It has ...

All Questions in This Category

Astronomy

Jesse Martinez

Top Expert on this page