Astronomy/Questions Answered by Expert Harry Hayfield

SubjectDate Asked
Solar eclipses8/25/2016
  Q: I live in western Europe(formerly UK, now Austria). I was in Cornwall for the 1999 solar eclipse in ...
  A: A few options to consider: August 12th 2026: Total over northern coast of Spain August 2nd 2027: ...
hELP2/23/2016
  Q: What is the difference between space and universe
  A: The universe is defined as: "all existing matter and space considered as a whole; the cosmos. The ...
Distances between stars of the Plough10/16/2015
  Q: Unfortunately a fellow expert, Patrick Weiler, could not help, maybe you can, please. We are told ...
  A: In order of distance from Earth: Megrez 58 light years Mizar 78 light years Merak 79 light years ...
I'm 59 years old and this is not a homwork8/7/2015
  Q: I'm E N T specialist, and have no intention to waste your time, I'm working on Kepler's laws for ...
  A: My apologies, it was the way that it was phrased that made me think it was a homework question. ...
Question about virgo constellation10/19/2014
  Q: I was told that the constellation Virgo sometimes has 9 stars in her "crown" and that in 2017 she ...
  A: First of all, there is one question that you have to ask when asking this question and that is "When ...
distance to stars5/6/2014
  Q: I read this in a discussion group today, and wondered if there was any truth to the statement? some ...
  A: A light year is the amount of distance that light travels in a year, therefore based on those ...
Eclipse12/3/2013
  Q: 1. How does eclipse happens? 2. How often does it happens?
  A: An eclipse happens when the moon (400 times further away from the sun, but 400 times smaller) ...
Moon Influence8/12/2013
  Q: Good day, I recently asked this question to Patrick Weiler, unfortunately he could not answer the ...
  A: Yes, you are indeed correct. The moon is slowly moving away from the Earth (and has been ever since ...
mining a Saturn moon2/11/2013
  Q: What is the best moon of Saturn to put a future robotic mining factory? I know it's speculation but ...
  A: It turns out that mining the moons of Saturn is actually quite common in fiction. In the Saturnalia ...
Meteorites from Mars11/12/2012
  Q: How can it be that meteorites from Mars can be found on Earth like the metorite that was found in ...
  A: Simple, something threw it into space. During the early solar system, Earth experienced something ...
Query re orbits10/14/2012
  Q: I played an astronomy game(google "astronomy workshop rogue star") which resulted in some of the ...
  A: I don't know the answer to the first question, but can answer the second part very easily indeed. ...
Sun Set8/11/2012
  Q: I'm in Sydney Australia. And i am trying to understand when night begins. I understand that the ...
  A: I agree it is a little complex to explain, but thankfully I can rely on the good old BBC to help ...
Proximity of Solar and Lunar Eclipses7/20/2012
  Q: I'm working on a script and I was wondering if, in theory, it is possible for a total solar and ...
  A: It is not looking very likely so far. Lunar eclipse software is rather few and far between (and I ...
transit of Venus6/7/2012
  Q: Why do some pictures and footage of this year's event show the path across the "top" of the sun and ...
  A: A collection of videos that should answer your question Norway: http://youtu.be/hIak86JkYAs ...
Moon Exploration / Missions6/1/2012
  Q: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploration_of_the_Moon http://www.engology.com/Apollo11.html ...
  A: The last man to walk on the moon was Gene Cernan on December 13th 1972. Interview with Gene Cernan ...
Is Moon so crucial to stable axial tilt?4/29/2012
  Q: I heard that Moon is crucial to stability of Earth's axis tilt because it never varies more then few ...
  A: It's plausible (Source: Wikipedia) "Alex Alemi's and David Stevenson's 2006 study of models of the ...
Things to do on a budget.....11/12/2011
  Q: Several of my friends and I have a lot of interest in astronomy and wish to get into backyard ...
  A: Absolutely! There are loads of projects where they ask ordinary astronomers (armed very often with ...
Lunar Eclipse Visible from Earth5/23/2011
  Q: For Lunar Eclipse 15th June 2011, What is the Eastern Most and Western Most Longitude on the Earth, ...
  A: This map http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/OH/OHfigures/OH2011-Fig03.pdf shows the area of the Earth that ...
Same Eclipse from Different Place5/21/2011
  Q: 1. Can the same Solar Eclipse be Total from One place and Partial from another place on the Earth? ...
  A: Indeed they can (which can be a regular pain in the neck on occasions). The last total solar eclipse ...
Interpreting shadows9/28/2010
  Q: Hey Harry, Quick bit of context. I'm a screenwriter currently writing a detective ...
  A: Indeed, all that information would be used to calculate time and season. If I may elaborate (using a ...
further questions on how far we can see into space8/24/2010
  Q: I read the answer to how far we could see in space and had a further question. If we can see to near ...
  A: When you look up during the day, the furthest thing you can see is the sun. The sun is 93 million ...
21 Aug 20177/24/2010
  Q: Seeing a total solar eclipse is in the top ten of my "bucket list," a list of things I'd love to do ...
  A: According to Weather.com, in August, Cheyenne has less than 2 inches of rain (suggesting an average ...
solar system5/18/2010
  Q: On what date will all eight planets align in line on the same side of the sun?
  A: (Statement of Personal Opinion: Despite the IAU stating that Pluto is not a planet, I was brought up ...
Bright Western Star4/20/2010
  Q: I have also been noticing the very bright western star here in No CO. I know that Venus is ...
  A: The best way of telling which is which is to go out at the following times and look in the following ...
Aurora Borealis2/23/2010
  Q: We are going to the Pembroke, Ontario area and would like to know the best time and location to view ...
  A: To which I would answer, no one knows! The Northern Lights are not like rain, you can't forecast it ...
Eclipses2/8/2010
  Q: Is it correct and/or is there a better way of saying the following? For an eclipse to occur the Sun, ...
  A: For an eclipse to occur the Sun, Moon and Earth have to line up in the same plane. Correct This ...
astronomy1/24/2010
  Q: I often wonder how visible our sun is from outer space. relative to the stars you see in our night ...
  A: Aldebaran as seen from Earth is a small red star with a magnitude of -0.66. As seen from Aldebaran, ...
planet visible near moon11/2/2009
  Q: I live just outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the U.S. Last night (November 1st, 2009)around ...
  A: If you are able to e-mail me a copy of the pictures (harryhayfield@googlemail.com) that would allow ...
veiw of earth4/27/2009
  Q: How far in space would someone have to be in order to get a full view of the earth considering it ...
  A: It depends entirely where you start from. Where I live you would have to be at least 7,500km above ...
(some astronomy questions)1/26/2008
  Q: In which direction on the horizon does the sun appear to rise on July 4 in New York State? Which ...
  A: All answers based on Albany, NY: 058 from north, Days would double in length (i.e 48 hours instead ...
solar system12/20/2007
  Q: I am in the 8th grade. I was wondering what your thoughts were on how the solar system was formed, ...
  A: Don't worry. You witter on! Our solar system was indeed formed by a solar nebula (when the sun ...
solar eclipse12/16/2007
  Q: how come the sun who is so massive can be covered by moon who is so tiny? why is solar or lunar ...
  A: Prespective! The sun has a diameter of 1.39 million km and is 149.6 million km from Earth. The moon ...
astro-fest9/26/2007
  Q: sir, we are students of IT-BHU, India and our college is going to conduct an astronomy fest ...
  A: 1) I am not aware of any astronomy fests but I am quite sure that if you contacted other ...
need help please3/2/2007
  Q: hi im doing n earth science project about an timeline of the theories on how the solar system was ...
  A: Over 4.6 billion years ago: The Sun burst into life when it started it's nuclear fusion 4.6 billion ...
The Sun5/7/2006
  Q: The Sun produces a tremendous amount of energy and will for the next 5 billion years, should we ...
  A: Indeed, and it should be stated at that the last local elections here in the UK parties that ...
UFO Sightings3/6/2006
  Q: I hope that you can appreciate right now I'm up late thinking about this subject! I have some ...
  A: Yes, it is kinda silly and not really what I meant when I said I was an expert in Eclipses. I have ...
eclipse10/6/2005
  Q: I've taken some photos ( more than 10 ) from the eclipse.(it was partial at the place were I ...
  A: Well, you did better than me then. Completely clouded out here! Okay then, here's an interesting ...
looking for a project subject9/10/2005
  Q: I want to work on an astronomical project and I'm looking for a subject, and is better if the ...
  A: Have I got a couple of projects for you! On October 3rd 2005, Tehran will see a partial solar ...
historical accounts7/23/2005
  Q: I'm a recent college grad. I was talking a lifer friend of mine (he's been in college for 6 years) ...
  A: Well, I can't comment on the sun standing still for a day one, but the Star of Bethlehem I can ...
celestial events6/1/2005
  Q: Yes, around Italy or Southern Europe.Were there any celestial events, such as a comet/meteor/falling ...
  A: Well, things like comets, meteors and shooting stars are a little hard to come across online, but I ...
Beautiful moon2/23/2005
  Q: On 1/30/05 at 10:30pm EST In NW Connecticut I saw the most amazing thing..... the moon was bright ...
  A: "On 1/30/05 at 10:30pm EST In NW Connecticut I saw the most amazing thing..... the moon was bright ...
Apparent Zenith of Sun at Particular Latitude11/14/2004
  Q: I am an American volunteer in Namibia (southern Africa) and have recorded what I believed to be the ...
  A: The GPS location that you gave me puts you about 100 miles from Victoria Falls. Is that is correct ...
Lunar eclipse10/26/2004
  Q: the gps posision is 62.5670 N, 7.7000 Em, and the lunar epelipce in pertikular I'm thinking of is ...
  A: In theory there should be nothing preventing you watching the eclipse with a 114mm reflector ...
The Cassini Mission8/22/2004
  Q: Has The Cassini Mission launched in 1997 reached Saturn and do you have any good interrnet sources ...
  A: Yes, it has reached Saturn but you are a little ahead of the game actually. Cassini is indeed in ...
eclipse8/1/2004
  Q: i have a follow-up question about eclipses... Does an eclipse happens during nightime only? thanks ...
  A: It depends what you term by "nightime". You see it's night somewhere in the world at any one time ...
eclipse7/31/2004
  Q: . i have many questions about eclipse cause i have an upcoming report.. thanks for your big help! so ...
  A: Glad to be of help! Question 1: Which is more frequent among the phases of the three solar eclipses ...
cme' and the cause of the 03'black out6/26/2004
  Q: do you think that the great black last summer may have been caused by a magnetic storm like the one ...
  A: Oh, if only it was Kwok. I am sorry to state that the reason for the power loss in the Northeeastern ...
Totality of Solar Eclipse5/9/2004
  Q: What is the maximum possible length of time that totality can last during a solar eclipse? When did ...
  A: The therotical maximum duration for a solar eclipse is 7 minutes 31 seconds. The longest so far ...
the moon3/29/2004
  Q: what would happen to the Earth if there was no longer a moon?
  A: Well, in the first place if there wasn't a moon we wouldn't be here (as it was the moon's influence ...

All Questions in This Category

Astronomy

Harry Hayfield

Top Expert on this page