Astronomy/Questions Answered by Expert Paul Wagner

SubjectDate Asked
Fair Market Value3/26/2017
  Q: What is the fair market value of a telescope that has been used only once? I have an Orion telescope ...
  A: This is not an easy question to answer. You are correct, that there are few moving parts and little ...
Telescopes2/19/2017
  Q: I purchased a $150 Orion telescope and I find the moon is the only skyward object it really improves ...
  A: The views you get from a telescope depend on two things:. Light gathering (how big the lens or ...
Rain in other planets.8/31/2016
  Q: Is there a possibility of rain occuring in other 8 Planets? Thanks Prashant
  A: There certainly is! Astronomers suggest that there are frequent rainstorms on Venus (albeit with ...
Capturing Rainbow Images.8/31/2016
  Q: Can we capture Rainbow Images using both a Telescope and Digital Camera? Thanks Prashant
  A: If you can connect a digital camera to your telescope (you usually need a special attachment for ...
Viewing Satellites using Powerful Telescopes.8/30/2016
  Q: Are there powerful Telescopes which will allow us to view all Satellites? If not, Can those ...
  A: This is a good question! There are telescopes that are powerful enough to see the satellites we've ...
What did we see tonight.7/12/2016
  Q: We have been sitting outside tonight watching a "star " that is emitting bright red flashes from ...
  A: You don't mention what part of the sky this was in---and that makes a very big difference. If what ...
Black Holes5/24/2016
  Q: How come light cannot enter a black hole?
  A: In fact, light CAN enter a black hole. A black hole is a massive object, and light and matter both ...
Black Holes5/11/2016
  Q: Why does a black hole not let light escape? how is this possible?
  A: It's explained by Einstein's theory of relativity--which shows that time, mass, and energy are all ...
Latitude and Longitude of Planets.12/21/2015
  Q: How to compute Latitude and Longitude of Planets viz Mars, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn etc?. Thanks ...
  A: We can't use latitude and longitude to describe the planets, because as the Earth orbits the Sun, ...
Telescope view with 3D glasses.12/17/2015
  Q: Could there be a different view of the Sky observed with a telescope by wearing 3D glasses?. ...
  A: I'm afraid that 3D glasses won't make any difference in looking at the sky through a telescope. 3D ...
electromagnetic radiation12/7/2015
  Q: This may be more of a physics question, but here is myIs all electromagnetic radiation ultimately ...
  A: I hope my salutation isn't a description of your relationship with your utilities company--and that ...
Geocentric11/27/2015
  Q: I think I saw two different models for a Geocentric universe. Then there's the heliocentric. Isn't ...
  A: None of these models is correct. The Universe really has to no center, and the Earth orbits around ...
the moon laying on its back11/8/2015
  Q: May i ask why the sight of the moon ''laying on its back'' is much less common that seeing it from ...
  A: The moon looks like it is lying on its back when it sets about an hour or two after sunset. That's ...
astophysics10/27/2015
  Q: Wagner, Which is the meaning of Astrophysics? Is it the same of astonomy? I'll apreciate your help ...
  A: Good question. The terms are often used interchangeably. Originally, Astronomy was the study of ...
Portable telescope manufacturing business startup.10/12/2015
  Q: Can portable telescope manufacturing business be a good Business startup co?. Thanks Prashant
  A: I think the real challenge is to find the market. A telescope is something that not everyone wants ...
Life on Mars planet.8/28/2015
  Q: If Mars planet exploration predicts life existence for Human species survival, Will future ...
  A: I think it is the dream of many astronomers (and many other people!) that we could eventually find a ...
Jason Discoverer 454 Model 3138/23/2015
  Q: Can you please tell me where I can find a manual for this telescope? We just got it at a flea market ...
  A: Jason scopes are legendary for causing problems for people. Here is a link to a series of pages ...
space of Earth's orbit8/18/2015
  Q: would you tell me what is the confirmed space of Earth's orbit pleas? or at-least guide me to ...
  A: Mohamed I think you'll find most of the information you need on this website: ...
Jason 313 Discoverer Telescope11/12/2014
  Q: Where can I find a new tripod for our old telescope?
  A: That's a bit of a problem. They don't sell these tripods separately, and there is reason for ...
reflecting telescope problems11/5/2014
  Q: I have a SkyProdigy 130 reflecting telescope and while I have had no trouble at all seeing planets ...
  A: It may be your expectations. In your scope you won't see vast clouds of stars. What you'll see is ...
Beginner Astronomy11/4/2014
  Q: My 74 year old Dad mentioned he would like to have a telescope. He has never had one so he is a ...
  A: This is a tough one, because the more you pay, the better the telescope. And $100 is just about the ...
Meade Model 97E9/11/2014
  Q: In 1988 I purchased a Meade Model 97E (3.5" spotting scope) to observe the heavens. Also I had a ...
  A: This is a really good question, on both ends. As a spotting scope I think this would still find ...
Galaxies5/13/2014
  Q: What proof is there that the big bang theory actually happened? Also what is dark matter and how was ...
  A: Just in the last two months scientists have discovered major new evidence of the Big Bang. Until ...
distance to stars5/6/2014
  Q: I read this in a discussion group today, is there any truth to it? some astronomers feel that it is ...
  A: I don't know any professional astronomers who have expressed this opinion. It would go against huge ...
Antique Telescope1/9/2014
  Q: I was given a antique 5 inch refracting telescope. In cleaning it up, I found no name of the ...
  A: This is a tough one. The value (and the age) of the scope would be tied most closely to the maker ...
Cloudless disk around the moon10/26/2013
  Q: See the attached picture. Last night it was cold and cloudy, but there was a cloudless disk around ...
  A: What you are seeing there is a result of ice crystals in the air--they reflect the light of the ...
Extraterrestrial Objects7/15/2013
  Q: I saw that in your bio you have been watching the sky for over 30 years. I like to sky watch too and ...
  A: Wow. I've never seen that before! When I was about fifteen I once thought I saw two stars moving ...
Jason 336E Comet Chaser Reflector Telescope7/10/2013
  Q: I purchased this telescope at an estate sale. There are no instructions with it. I am a newbe and ...
  A: I have two suggestions for you. I am not sure where to find a manual for that scope---because it ...
Milky Way5/17/2013
  Q: How did the Milky Way form?
  A: You can do this kind of research on-line--you don't need me to do it. Here is a link to the ...
stars5/15/2013
  Q: I was just wondering how the stars form.
  A: After the Big Bang, there was lots of material in the universe, and it began to coalesce into ...
Stars5/14/2013
  Q: What makes stars so close to each other or far apart?
  A: All the stars are moving--they have beeen moving since they formed out of the material of the Big ...
Star's Lifecycle5/10/2013
  Q: How long is a star's life?
  A: It all depends on the star's mass. Smaller stars evolve quite differently from much larger ones. ...
Stars5/9/2013
  Q: What makes some stars brighter than others?
  A: There are two kinds of brightness. If you mean why do some stars look brighter to us, a lot of the ...
Astronomy4/8/2013
  Q: For school I am doing research on The Milky Way. My teacher wants us to find an expert and ask ...
  A: Here are my thoughts: 1. Jupiter is the biggest planet in our solar system, but we've found so ...
Telescope?3/29/2013
  Q: I am looking for a telescope I want your advice of the best option (a great all around telescope for ...
  A: Telescopes are always a compromise between size, cost, andd performance. At the lower end of your ...
Telescopes2/22/2013
  Q: I am thinking of taking up Astronomy as a hobby. Could you recommend some good telescopes for ...
  A: THis is a very complicated question. Every telescope is a compromise between a number of elements. ...
telescopes2/18/2013
  Q: hy-the telescope own is 130p dobson skywatcher heritage-the eyepieces are the standard basic 2 that ...
  A: This is a great question. Generally, in most conditions, telescopes struggle to give quality images ...
Telescope lens2/10/2013
  Q: My wife and I have been fascinated by astronomy for some time, but having a newer house has eaten up ...
  A: A good question---and it sounds like you are on the right track. I would look for a decent set of ...
Walking Star2/2/2013
  Q: . everytime i stare up in the sky while lying.. I can see other stars waking or changing position ...
  A: The planets move in thhe sky from night to night..but you are describing something faster than that. ...
Question1/29/2013
  Q: Good day I recently read that there are more than 100 billion galaxies in the universe. 1. How and ...
  A: There are a lot of questions here, but I will try to answer them as best I can. 1. The primary ...
telescopes1/17/2013
  Q: hy-here are some questions u might answer- -the celestron binoculars 20x80 that i have arent really ...
  A: There is no way to "add" optical systems to binoculars to make them more effective at space ...
DOUBLE BARREL TELESCOPES1/11/2013
  Q: I see brass "replicas" of double barrel telescopes everywhere, mounted on wooden tripods. The ...
  A: This is more of a modern affectation than a historic replica. IN the old days, those telescopes had ...
UNCONVENTIONAL ANTIQUE TELESCOPE STANDS12/15/2012
  Q: Most 18th/early 19th century telescopes that I've seen have three legged folding stands, made of ...
  A: There is a long history of interesting and unusual telescope mounts. Perhaps the first one is by ...
Unidentified flying object.12/6/2012
  Q: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unidentified_flying_object ...
  A: Let's start with two different questions. 1. Are there objects in the sky that have been seen by ...
In the sky...11/30/2012
  Q: I stepped outside about an hour ago, 10:30 pm-ish, to have a smoke. While I was looking up at the ...
  A: I think your first suggestion is probably correct. These jet contrails can be quite amazing--very ...
Hand Held Telescope11/26/2012
  Q: Greetings, Paul, I am looking to purchase a hand held telescope for myself and my boyfriend before ...
  A: This is a great question, and I am happy to help. Let's start with the basics: A telescope does ...
Resistance against a planet9/18/2012
  Q: Your help is much appreciated, Just hypothetically if space is not empty, Space against an ...
  A: You are really asking two questions here. The first one is: what is the relationship between the ...
Messier Objects Search5/24/2012
  Q: I recently purchased my first telescope, the Orion Skyquest XT8 Dobsonian which has an 8-inch ...
  A: This is a great question. Messier discovered all of these objects using only a three inch scope ...
Big Bang Theory - expanding universe?5/24/2012
  Q: My question relates to a previous question asked of you, regarding the location of the big bang. To ...
  A: I am not an astrophysicist, but this might help you. It wasn't just matter that came into being ...
Focal Length 650 vs 1250 and f5 vs f105/12/2012
  Q: i read the post about f5 and f10 and most people prefer f5. I am a little confused. I am a ...
  A: Focal length is not a really important part of a scope. A longer focal length gives you higher ...
Moving / Flashing stars4/19/2012
  Q: This probably sounds crazy; but for the last 5 days or so and more really but here lately ...
  A: These sound an awful lot like Iridium Flare satellites. They are seen for a few hours after sunset, ...
Decent Telescope for $5004/14/2012
  Q: I am a rank amateur and I have never even looked through a telescope before. But I would like to buy ...
  A: This is a really big question, and so much of the answer depends on what you want to do with this ...
telescope4/11/2012
  Q: I am looking to buy my first telescope and would like your opinion on which is a good one..I want to ...
My national geographic telescope3/13/2012
  Q: My national geographic telescope works wonderfully..I have a 4mm lense and a 22mm and a 12.5mm they ...
  A: the problem may by the atmosphere. When you increase magnification this much, you need really ...
Telescope focus problem1/6/2012
  Q: I received a used Celestron 114 mm Newtonian 910 mm telescope for christmas. It came with a Bartow ...
  A: I think I know the answer. Most telescopes are really made only to focus on the stars---and they ...
buying my first telescope1/2/2012
  Q: I am on a budget and I want to buy a reasonably good telescope and after some online reading ...
  A: I know what you mean about the binoculars. It is very hard for anyone to hold something like that ...
10 Interesting Things in Our Galaxy12/28/2011
  Q: I need some help making a list of 10 interesting things that can be found in the Milky Way Galaxy. ...
  A: For any amateur astronomer, this kind of thing is lots of fun! How about these for starters: 1. ...
Building Reflector Telescope12/8/2011
  Q: I'm in a bind here. My son and I started a project based on internet and books from the library for ...
  A: You've come to the right place. The challenge here is to determine the focal length of that shaving ...
jason model 313 telescope11/23/2011
  Q: Mr. Wagner I recently got a jason model 313 scope that a friend found in an attic to a house he ...
  A: Sounds like you have a fun project. These Jason scopes were made for many, many years...and they ...
Jason Model 307 Explorer Astr. Telescope11/14/2011
  Q: Someone has donated this telescope w/a mount to our upcoming church fair. I don't know whether to ...
  A: You are right--this is more of a toy than a serious scope. But it's a toy that kids can enjoy. It ...
Things do to on a budget.....11/12/2011
  Q: Several of my friends and I have a lot of interest in astronomy and wish to get into backyard ...
  A: There are a few things that amateurs can do these days, but they may not be as exciting as you would ...
Relative speed of sunset11/8/2011
  Q: I was asked to explain this phenomenon, why is it that as the sun is setting, or rising, it appeared ...
  A: It's because there is nothing in the middle of the sky to measure the sun's speed against. If you ...
Telescope power9/8/2011
  Q: with 2" secondary mirror. If I extend the tub to about 1400 mm so a 35 mm secondary mirror will ...
  A: Nothing you can do with the secondary mirror will affect the power of the telescope--because the ...
solar angel8/27/2011
  Q: how can I fuond the sunrise and sunset angles?
  A: There are a couple of websites that do this for you. One is from the USA: ...
Expanding universe8/19/2011
  Q: i get the concept of the expanding universe, raisins in the rising dough, no center of the universe, ...
  A: Yep-this is true, exception for localized gravitational issues, even galaxies close to us are slowly ...
Constellations5/31/2011
  Q: Does the southern hemisphere have the same constellation viewings as the northern hemisphere? I am ...
  A: Sorry about that! I got see interested in the first part that I didn't see that last part of the ...
moon color5/19/2011
  Q: Why is the moon perceived as yellow (gold) in color?
  A: The moon is really a very pale gray in color....but the atmosphere of the Earth sometimes makes it ...
stars and planets5/18/2011
  Q: earth is orbiting the sun at 66700 miles an hour, our solar system is orbiting the milky way at ...
  A: While all of those speeds seem fast, in truth the solar system has changed very little in ...
Visibility of stars from the lunar surface.4/29/2011
  Q: I was browsing the Cornell University Astronomy web site and I read in an answer to a question posed ...
  A: This is a great question---and I am perfectly ready to admit that since I haven't been on the moon, ...
Help3/20/2011
  Q: My nephew was given a Jason Explorer 400 model 307 Astronomical Telescope. I do not know how to even ...
  A: This isn't a really tough scope to use, but there are some great website that will get you started. ...
Telescope f/? or f/?3/20/2011
  Q: Could you help me. When a telescope has on it : 10" f/10 or 10" f/6.8 what does the f/ mean. I no ...
  A: The f/ratio actually refers to the size (or aperture) of the lens in relationship with the focal ...
Disassembling and cleaning a Newtonian mirror2/23/2011
  Q: I would like to disassemble a primary mirror on a Newtonian telescope. I can see that the mirror ...
  A: Step one: Be very careful. A dirty mirror is still a lot better than a scratched one! Step two: ...
Pluto2/2/2011
  Q: I am a college student and I am supposed to write a paper on "a topic of interest from science". I ...
  A: It all has to do with how we define planets--size, orbit, etc. And the fact that we've found a ...
Velocity of the sun11/12/2010
  Q: The sun is traveling towards Vega. How fast is it traveling.
  A: Here's a link to an answer from someone who is much smarter than I am. ...
Equatorial mount for Newtonian reflector10/10/2010
  Q: Mr. Wagner, I have and 8" f/5.9 Dobsonian and I'd like to upgrade it to have tracking capability. ...
  A: The short answer to your question is yes---there will be times when your tripod legs will get in the ...
Looking at the Cosmos9/13/2010
  Q: I am an ordinary person, not study astronomy or physics, but I love science. I have a question, ...
  A: It may seem a bit hard to believe, but the distances in astronomy are so huge that it take light a ...
reference to last inquiry about Jason telescope8/25/2010
  Q: Wagner, I do hope that your vacation was enjoyable. :0) I do apologize in getting back with you so ...
  A: Hah! Yes, we had a great vacation. Thanks for asking! In fact, all astronomical telescopes will ...
was it a star?8/16/2010
  Q: On Sunday night around 10.25 pm gmt(British Summer Time) I was walking my dogs when on looking up I ...
  A: Almost certainly this was a satellite. Particularly in the evenings, we can see light reflected off ...
space events7/28/2010
  Q: I was wondering if you knew any good websites, books, magazines, etc which would provide me with a ...
  A: Sky and Telescope magazines website has all of that, and more! Try going to: ...
21 Aug 20177/24/2010
  Q: Seeing a total solar eclipse is in the top ten of my "bucket list," a list of things I'd love to do ...
  A: You are really asking two questions, and I can only answer one of them. The maximum totality of the ...
New moon eclipse 7/117/9/2010
  Q: Some websites show that we are due for a lunar eclipse on July 11th 2010, others do not. We are also ...
  A: It's a solar eclipse on the 11th--not a lunar eclipse. During the new moon, the moon passes between ...
older telescope3/22/2010
  Q: i have an older Bausch %26 Lomb telescope. it is 12-14 inches long in olive green metal with a ...
  A: From your description this is more of a spotting scope than an astronomic telescope. I assume that ...
Lame Telescope Operator3/15/2010
  Q: Paul, I purchased a Meade telescope for my wife a couple of years ago. We have never been able to ...
  A: Can you describe what the problem is? DO the optics work? Have you been able to focus it on the ...
2D or 3D?3/3/2010
  Q: Sir, Images of galaxies we got are 2D or 3D? - if 3D, how can we got it? - if 2D, how can we ...
  A: THe images we get of the galaxies are two-dimensional, since they are all take in the focal plane of ...
Buying a telescope2/1/2010
  Q: When I was a kid I studied the stars. Now I would like to buy a telescope but just need something ...
  A: It would really help to get an idea of budget... My first suggestion is a really good pair of ...
Science-Moon's orbit being tilted1/19/2010
  Q: With Earth's moon in orbit being tilted 5 degrees, what is the effect of this? What i mean is what ...
  A: The tilt in the moon's orbit doesn't really have much effect. When you think of it, it is almost ...
Astronomy1/17/2010
  Q: The annular eclipse in Tanzania - why does the moon sometimes cover the sun, and at other times ...
  A: Sorry about the confusion. Solar eclipses are really quite an oddity. It is just coincidence that ...
Astronomy1/17/2010
  Q: This is not a homework question, I am an Old age pensioner. The answer I am looking for should be ...
  A: I think you are confusing a couple of different things. You are correct that the Earth is closest ...
Blue moons12/8/2009
  Q: When was the last time there was a blue moon on New Year's Eve heralding in a new decade. I know ...
  A: I am not going to do all the hard work for you, but here is a link to all the full moons in the past ...
tides12/3/2009
  Q: I would like to know if tides are different in the summer than the winter sincerely Tyler
  A: There are very minimal differences in the tides due to the distance between the Earth and the Sun ( ...
equipment12/1/2009
  Q: Greetings, I have a Jason model 323 yellow piece of equipment along with a Hollywood Gemini 2806 ...
  A: I am not sure I can answer your question without knowing more, but I am going to try. The tripod ...
Ellipse11/17/2009
  Q: What is the maximum and minimum distances from the earth to the sun during its elliptical orbit?
  A: This is pretty easy to find on the internet. The maximum is about 94.5 million miles, and the ...
Alt/Azimuth mount11/16/2009
  Q: I have a reflector on an Alt/Azimuth mount with no coordinate markings on the mount at all. How am I ...
  A: You can't use celestial coordinates with an alt-azimuth mount--it just doesn't work. The turning ...
Telescope problem11/15/2009
  Q: My Son just bought a 6" Newtonian reflector from Germany via eBay. I had a refractor many years ago ...
  A: My guess is that you are looking at things that are too close, during the daytime. The focal plane ...
TRUE Age of our Universe?11/11/2009
  Q: Wagner, I have devoted quite some time attempting to locate a knowledgeable astrophysicist to ...
  A: This is a great question--and even though I am not an astrophysicist, I do more or less know where ...
built-in barlow10/29/2009
  Q: Wagner: I recently purchased a celestron powerseeker 127 Eq. The label on the scope says 1000mm but ...
  A: the short answer here is that if the scope was designed to incorporate this Barlow into its focal ...
Meade 290-C focuser10/28/2009
  Q: I was given a Meade 290-C telescope but it is missing the focuser. Meade no longer stocks the part ...
  A: I am not surprised that you didn't get much help from customer service! But I want to ask a ...
Astronomy and "global warming"10/23/2009
  Q: Is "global warming" affecting the recreational astronomer? Do you have any images from the past to ...
  A: It's hard to say how climate change would affect the recreational astronomer. Maybe there would be ...
4.5 or 5 inch newtonian reflector10/18/2009
  Q: Wagner; I am on a limited budget and am considering either a 4.5 or 5 inch newtonian reflector by ...
  A: There is little difference between these scopes---except that the 5 inch wll gather a bit more ...
East is east and west is west10/6/2009
  Q: If east is east and west is west, why does where the sun rises and sets vary by such a huge amount ...
  A: East is East, and West is West...but those are directions on Earth, and they don't really apply to ...
Space9/22/2009
  Q: 1. Can you provide me the best pictures of space? 2. Can you get me pictures of everything and ...
  A: The best website for space photos is from the Hubble Telescope: http://hubblesite.org/ Be prepared ...
telescope9/14/2009
  Q: I have a tasco scope ,now i have the following lenses barlow 2.3x, 1.5 erecting lense, sr4mm , ...
  A: I would start with the 12.5 eyepiece. That should give you about 50X or so...and that will easily ...
Norther Lights9/9/2009
  Q: Is there a way to tell when the Northern Lights might be able to be seen from Massachusetts?
  A: The answer to your question is yes...and no. There are three factors that influence the appearance ...
Telescope8/18/2009
  Q: I am Steffi Michael. I love watching the night sky too but I have done it only through naked eyes. I ...
  A: I can certainly give you some advice about making telescopes. The first questions you will have to ...
Stellar Parallax8/10/2009
  Q: I am looking for a simple explanation of calculating the distance of a star using stellar parallax. ...
  A: The challenge is that using parallax also involves using Trigonometry. The system is simple, but ...
expensive little telescopes8/6/2009
  Q: Yes, I ask you a question before, but this one is different, although related. I see lots of pricey ...
  A: I agree with you on this one. I think those scopes are for people who have very expensive cars, and ...
telescopes - bang for the buck8/6/2009
  Q: My ventures into dobs & cats have proved unsatisfactory, due almost entirely to back surgery & ...
  A: I think you have already beaten this question around a bit. As you know, all telescopes are ...
upside down7/29/2009
  Q: i didn't check it until i got it home my fault! problem is this everything is upside down can you ...
  A: Not to worry. This is the natural and simplest way for a telescope to work---the reflections and ...
viewing andromeda galaxy3/22/2009
  Q: What are the minimum requirements in terms of mirror diameter and magnification the view the ...
  A: This is a great question--because under really dark skies, you can see this galaxy with your naked ...
Re: telescope magnifications3/16/2009
  Q: I have just purchased a celestron astromaster 130 telescope. I set it up as per instructions. ...
  A: I have some good news and some bad news. Let's start with the bad news: stars are so far away that ...
Planets orbits3/16/2009
  Q: Where can I find a 'space' map about the current position of the planets? Thank you
  A: The best one is at Sky and Telescope's website. They are a great publication, and the have a ...
older Telescope3/13/2009
  Q: Paul, I inheredited a "Jason rotary powered 540" telescope. What can you tell me about this item ...
  A: What you have here is a simple refractor telescope that was made for the masses. I don't have the ...
comets3/2/2009
  Q: I have got two questions concerning comets. I would like to know 1. how fast in general do comets ...
  A: This is a tough one---I'll try to answer as best I can, but some of this is pretty complicated. 1. ...
Telescope for Beginners2/18/2009
  Q: Can you recommend a good telescope for beginners that is not too exspensive.
  A: this is a much more complicated question than you might think. There are three options--and I would ...
Iluminated field2/17/2009
  Q: I think this is the last question. i'm going to use the telescope to watch deep sky objects and ...
  A: Good to hear from you again. The moon is about 1/2 a degree in size, so for me, that is the minimum ...
Lense Placement2/5/2009
  Q: I have a jason model no.313, and I took the large lense out to clean it. when I went to place the ...
  A: This is not as big a problem as you might think. I don't have the answer right off the top of my ...
Eyepiece diameter1/24/2009
  Q: What is the convenience, if any, of switching from a 1.25" to a 2" eyepiece in my telescope??
  A: If your telescope is set up with a somewhat larger diagonal mirror, you lose a hair of light ...
user manuel1/15/2009
  Q: i have a jason model 307 explorer 400 telescope. is there a company that sells user manuels and ...
  A: I don't know where you can get a manual for these--they change models and names a lot. I did find ...
Meade ETX 80 Barlow flip problem12/29/2008
  Q: I have just been given a Meade ETX80AT-TC refractor telescope. As I was finding my way around it, I ...
  A: I haven't used one of these, so I can't really give you a complete answer...and I don't have one on ...
Nibiru12/28/2008
  Q: I would really like your insight into the "Planet X" or "Nibiru" claims going around at the moment, ...
  A: This is all bogus. There is nothing in the sky that would be visible from the North Pole and not ...
Meteorite12/27/2008
  Q: In the mid to late 60's I witnessed a fireball in upstate NY, it was during the day and mid summer ...
  A: You could try by starting with the International Meteor Organization. Here's a list of fireballs ...
astronomy12/12/2008
  Q: how do waves move when they move into more dense material?
  A: This sounds suspiciously like a homework question, so I will just give you a very basic ...
Astronomy12/9/2008
  Q: This if for a project, BUT it is required of me to interview an expert(you) on 10 questions of my ...
  A: These are great questions---congratulations to your teacher! 1. The b eauty. Beyond that, the ...
What type of telescope should I get?12/3/2008
  Q: I have no experience with telescopes or observing the night sky. I have always wanted to get a ...
  A: There are a lot of variables here. Where do you live? If you live in a brightly lit city, then you ...
focusers12/3/2008
  Q: I have a commercial refractor telescope and i don't know which is the focuser i want to use the ...
  A: nice to hear from you again! The focuser is that part of the telescope the holds the eyepiece--it ...
astronomy11/24/2008
  Q: I have always been told that there are no dumb questions but I may prove that statement wrong - I ...
  A: This is absolutely not a dumb question. You have hit upon one of the real issues of small ...
Lots of questions11/14/2008
  Q: I've been waiting eagerly for your return.Hope you had fun in your vacation.I know you got bored ...
  A: I was actually working---traveling through the US and Europe onn business. But now I am back and ...
U.F.O. Sighting 06.09.08.9/7/2008
  Q: Good evening, at 11.15 PM, 06.09.08, 5 witness's including myself encountered a shock of disbelief ...
  A: My first two guesses would be a fireball that broke up on entry into the Earth's atmosphere, sending ...
where9/4/2008
  Q: can i ask where to get a good telescope lens
  A: You can make telescopes out of both lenses and mirrors. Most amateurs make them from mirrors--and ...
Telescope filters and tube8/30/2008
  Q: What do the telescope filters do?Does the blue filter attract the blue color or does it block it or ...
  A: Good to hear from you again. A blue filter let's only blue light through---but it makes some ...
Jason astronomy scope-Explorer 400- Model 3078/9/2008
  Q: Just puchased the above scope: Jason Explorer 400, Model 307 for $15. It needs a Finder scope ...
  A: I don't know where you can buy the fittings for those scopes anymore--I think Meade and Celestron ...
telescope tracking7/3/2008
  Q: Paul, I have a Celestron 8 Advanced Series GT. I have no trouble aligning the scope and the go-to ...
  A: Ah! This is the ultimate challenge: astrophotography. Most experts use an offset eyepiece at very ...
Mount6/30/2008
  Q: Hey, I am building a dobsonian telescope and i like everything except the mount so can i build a ...
  A: It's hard to put a dobsonian scope on an equatorial mount, because these scopes are designed to ...
Fully illuminated field6/30/2008
  Q: Hey, Hope you had fun in your vacation. First, I don't understand the fully illuminated field and ...
  A: Yep--vacation was a lot of fun... Here's the deal on secondary mirrors. They have to capture the ...
dob platform5/10/2008
  Q: I just bought a single-axis equatorial platform for my 14.5" Antares dob through Astro-Mart. I ...
  A: I don't have one of these, but the theory is pretty simple. You need to point it due North ( not ...
telescope5/1/2008
  Q: Can you please tell me a website because there are no books here i dont understand how the dobsonian ...
  A: You should check out these websites for a quick lesson on dobsonian telescopes: ...
jason telescope4/30/2008
  Q: Our basement was recently flooded and a Jason telescope that my husband bought for the kids at a ...
  A: Jason scopes were entry level telescopes, and most had a few problems that made them a little hard ...
building a telescope4/27/2008
  Q: I want to build a telescope and the primary mirrors that are available here in egypt are not alot ...
  A: I can give you lots of advice, but the first advice I will give you is that you need to find a ...
telescope tracking4/24/2008
  Q: The tracking system on my telescope does not appear to be working properly; I would like to know how ...
  A: Testing the tracking is easy: point it an an object (ideally along the equator, where the motion is ...
13.5" 103" fl construction4/11/2008
  Q: Where can I find pictures of an equ mount to get good construction ideas. I have a 14" 3/4" wall ...
  A: This is a big scope. I have a 13.5 inch scope, but the fl is only about 65 inches! I am a little ...
red and green blinking lights4/5/2008
  Q: From Yuma, AZ, looking west at what I believe is Orion (the three stars in a row as the belt), and ...
  A: I am in Napa Valley, so this one is a bit tought for me...but if you can see blinking lights in ...
dob eq trackers3/18/2008
  Q: I have a 14.5" Antares dob that I'd like to get onto a tracking platform. I have a chance to get an ...
  A: I don't want to dodge these questions, but I would suggest that you drop Tom Osypowksi a note--he ...
RA tracking drive motor problem3/1/2008
  Q: I have a F8 Catadioptric Newtonian on a Equatorial mount. The clock drive motor is an EQ3 single ...
  A: this is a confusing one, I'll admit. If your base is, indeed, perfectly level (that's my first ...
jason discoverer model 313 telescope2/27/2008
  Q: is there an instructional manual available?
  A: Here is one site with the whole manual (for a 313) as a series of jpegs: ...
How stars are formed2/17/2008
  Q: How do stars form in clusters or binary when the solar winds from the stars that were formed first ...
  A: Let's start with clearing up something. The moon does not have any atmosphere because the molecular ...
telescope optics2/10/2008
  Q: When setting up my telescope using hills a mile or so away, they were inverted. Does this mean that ...
  A: This is normal for astronomical scopes. To get the image turned right side up, you need a couple of ...
Help picking out a telescope.2/7/2008
  Q: I brought a telescope twice and had to return both of them because my 14 year old and I don't know ...
  A: This may be an odd thing to say, but I recommend that you don't get a telescope right now. Instead, ...
The Universe and the Neurons1/12/2008
  Q: I am a researcher looking into science and religion and during my studies I have found out that ...
  A: Sorry to disappoint you, but any similarities in appearance are purely coincidental. IT's really ...
telescope Alignment1/12/2008
  Q: I have a EQ6 mount with 10 inch tube and I want align the mount in daylight time . please help me . ...
  A: You can do this...but it is much easier at night. To do it during the daytime, you will need to ...
Planet X12/30/2007
  Q: I read where NASA discovered Planet X in Dec. 1983 with the IRAS telescope. The story was published ...
  A: The problem is calling anything "planet X." What Nasa found was a smaller "planet" that orbits ...
Another Question12/26/2007
  Q: Hey Paul. I have asked you a question before about buying my first telescope and you helped me out ...
  A: Moce to hear from you again! Sounds like the scope is working out great. I am assuming that you ...
Stars12/17/2007
  Q: I have a rather odd question that is bugging me. Can you tell me if science has got star evolution ...
  A: I understand your questions--a lot of us have questions about this whole thing. But I don't think ...
Radio Telescopes11/6/2007
  Q: What space exploration problems have radio telescopes helped with?
  A: This sounds suspiciously like a homework question. But once you understand that radio waves are ...
radio telescopes11/6/2007
  Q: What is a radio telescope and what does it look like?
  A: A radio telescope is a telescope that observes the skies with radio waves instead of visible light. ...
finder scopes11/5/2007
  Q: I apologize if I've asked this question before - I know I have asked you a question in the recent ...
  A: Here is the answer I sent you ... Hi Tom There are as many opinions as there are astronomers about ...
amateur11/1/2007
  Q: I've had a Carson 50mm AIM refracting telescope for a few years now (that I got for free) and I've ...
  A: There aren't very many 50mm scopes that are much good. The moon is just about the best an easiest ...
telescope10/29/2007
  Q: How far can the worlds biggest telescope see out to in outer pace
  A: As far as light can travel. With a long exposure camera, they can see billions of light years into ...
Stars10/26/2007
  Q: I wrote you recently and your prompt answer impressed me so that I thought I would write you ...
  A: Nice to hear from you again! Two things: 1. Yes, unless you are looking through a telescope, Mars ...
Just curious10/24/2007
  Q: I have a question about a star and anomalie I saw outside last night. I will try to describe it the ...
  A: This is a classic description of the effect of the atmostphere on a star that is low on the horizon. ...
optics10/19/2007
  Q: You'll know how stupid about optics I am after this question. I know we don't use the term 'power' ...
  A: Boy, are you close. You have all the pieces, you just haven't put it all together. Those numbers on ...
finder scope10/16/2007
  Q: I have a "new" (to me) 14.5" truss dob, ostensibly custom made by Antares. While collimating it I ...
  A: There are as many opinions as there are astronomers about finder scopes. I started out using an ...
astro-fest9/27/2007
  Q: sir, this is in response to your answer. i had not received your earlier reply because i had wrongly ...
  A: If you want to get people interested, you have to do more than just tell them things--you have to ...
astro-fest9/26/2007
  Q: sir, we are students of IT-BHU, India and our college is going to conduct an astronomy fest ...
  A: I would start with a couple of specific questions: 1. What is your goal for this event? 2. ...
2 moons on August 27, 20078/17/2007
  Q: ...Is this real or a hoax? Thanks, Patty
  A: I am sorry, but this is almost a pure hoax. It is true that in August of 2003, Mars was as close to ...
satillites8/16/2007
  Q: Paul, I just asked you about the stars and you suggested they may be satillites. My daughter wanted ...
  A: Nice to hear from you again! Yes, they are man-made satellites, orbiting Earth. They do ...
outer space8/16/2007
  Q: Last week while viewing the meteor showers, I noticed way up in the sky, objects the size and color ...
  A: I am pretty sure that what you saw were satellites--your description is very accurate. These are ...
infa red telescopes over optical telescopes7/3/2007
  Q: Im a grade nine student in need of help. I have serveral questions about telescopes. 1. do infrared ...
  A: These sound a bit like homework questions...but I will give you a little help anyway. 1. They ...
accessible astronomy7/3/2007
  Q: I'm wondering if you can name some great books on astronomy (or cosmology) for non-astronomists. ...
  A: Carl Sagan's book Cosmos is a great choice for either description...and should be available at most ...
Help me please.7/2/2007
  Q: To whom it may concern, I am starting to look into astronomy and recently bought a cheap telescope ...
  A: There are four main elements to the cost and performance of a telescope, and magnification is only ...
Dob telescope purchase4/25/2007
  Q: Paul..I am considering a 12" Dob to buy. Generally the skies where I live in Florida are dark but ...
  A: You sound as if you have a good idea about all this stuff already. With that kind of light ...
Light travel & Telescopes4/12/2007
  Q: A simple debate arose. here is the topic of the debate, if a star burnt out and stopped sending a ...
  A: They would see it at the same time. The telescope collects light the same way your eye does...it ...
telescope problems3/11/2007
  Q: I guess i am a dummy, I have a galileo FS-102Nt and I have attempted to line it up with the red dot, ...
  A: This is a tough question. I will try to talk you through it--but the best solution is to find a ...
night sky2/27/2007
  Q: Which nebula and galaxy will I be able to see in Corpus Christi,Tx with a small telescope in March.
  A: This is a great question, but there are a lot of variables. The two most important ones are: How ...
Binocular Strength2/1/2007
  Q: . I'm very much an amateur astronomer and I'm looking to buy a budget pair of binoculars to observe ...
  A: For astronomy, the magnification isn't as important as the light-gathering power. Binoculars are ...
telescope 'remodeling'1/20/2007
  Q: I'm hungry for aperture, and once had a good telescope (Celestron NextStar 11" SCT). But I had to ...
  A: Absolutely! The concept will work--although I think any time you move a reflector, you will have to ...
Telescope problems12/24/2006
  Q: ok i have been having some really really bad problems with the new telescope that i have just ...
  A: Let's start with the easy one---every astronomer should know how to find North. And if you don't ...
What Should I Do12/16/2006
  Q: I am 30 years old. i did my B.Com and then MBA in 1999. Now I am doing my own business. I know i ...
  A: Start at a local community college taking the basic prep courses for astronomy. You will need lots ...
telescope12/9/2006
  Q: I am intreasted in purchasing a telescope for night sky observation, however i dont know where to ...
  A: Most amateurs focus on a couple of things to look at in the sky: the moon and planets, and the ...
Telescopes12/7/2006
  Q: I am an expert in Yosemite National Park, but have a question about telescopes. When I was young, ...
  A: Given where you are, you should have a GREAT telescope. I worked their as a guide 35 years ...
telescopes10/8/2006
  Q: I have a very basic and amateur question. I am just beginning to learn the bare essentials of ...
  A: Why a refractor? they are generally more expensive per inch of aperture, and for most amateur ...
light year info8/31/2006
  Q: I saw that ABC special last night, End of Time, or whatever it was. They talked about the ...
  A: This is Paul, not Philip, but I can help you with answers. There were a number of experiments to ...
telascope power8/22/2006
  Q: what is the most power you can get out of a 10" reflector telascope? and fare should the ...
  A: There is practical answer to these questions, and a theoretical answer. The practical answer is ...
help me out8/13/2006
  Q: Would you happen to know anything about Telescopes because I recently got one 2 months ago its the ...
  A: This is a great question---and you already have much of the answer. WHile this scope is not huge, ...
Which telescope?7/25/2006
  Q: It's me again. Thank you for answering so quickly and being so explanatory. I just have one more ...
  A: Yes, faster focal ratios can have more errors, but it shouldn't be an issue at f/4.9. The center of ...
Which telescope?7/25/2006
  Q: I am ready to move to a bigger telescope but because of the price I am between two telescopes. I ...
  A: Take the larger scope--it will reduce exposure times ( and tracking errors ) by half at least. But ...
How Can I build a small useful Periscope?6/22/2006
  Q: I need incormation or someone who can answer questions such as " given two tubes one of 2" and one ...
  A: Let me offer you a few ideas, just to get you started: 1. First of all, for a periscope, you ...
Meteorite Sighting in '696/10/2006
  Q: In the summer of '69, I was one of many people at a motel in Palm Springs, CA that saw a large ...
  A: The really big meteorite of April 1969 was in the UK, not in the US. It sounds as if you saw a ...
space4/3/2006
  Q: do you know where I could download small sized video files about space's origins, space exploration ...
  A: THe Jep Propulsion Lab at Cal Tech has some of these...but here is a link to all sorts of ...
telescope types4/3/2006
  Q: I know the optics of the different types of scope but I hope you can answer a question that's been ...
  A: You are asking the wrong guy. I have four scopes--reflectors from 4.25 to 17.5 inches in diameter, ...
Tracking3/2/2006
  Q: Is it possible to take some good deep sky pictures tracking manually? If possible, how could that be ...
  A: The answer is yes...but not through your scope. Attach a nice SLR camera to it, don't use a ...
Re: Astronomy binoculars2/16/2006
  Q: I already sent a similar e-mail last week, but got no response. I was wondering what kinds of ...
  A: Here is how I answered your question last week: Dear Terez: Nikon makes good optics. But while ...
newtonian to schmidt cassegrain telescope2/12/2006
  Q: i have a 10" newtonian scope, but it is really big- about 5 feet long. it is a hassle to set up and ...
  A: There are a million different ways to adapt telescopes...but they all start with the optics ...
I don't particularly know...2/10/2006
  Q: I don't particularly know much of anything about astronomy. However, my husband expressed an ...
  A: Daer Terez: Nikon makes good optics. But while astronomy binoculars work well in the rest of the ...
Telescope Questions????2/6/2006
  Q: can't find answers to some of the questions. Please do not feel like you have to detail everything ...
  A: I normally don't get involved in school work. These are quite important questions, and it is really ...
Meade 290c Telescope1/28/2006
  Q: I got a Present, a "Meade 290c" but no instructions.Can You please help me? It says on it 3x and d ...
  A: I can explain some of this...and some you may have to give me a bit more information. d60mm means ...
Telescope1/19/2006
  Q: My husband bought a Jason Model 313 Discoverer Astronomical Telescope at a yard sale. It has the ...
  A: Sounds like you have a fun project! OK--On the telescope, please make sure you have an eyepiece. ...
How far can we see into space...1/3/2006
  Q: How far can we see into space using most powerful telescopes?
  A: We can see back to very near to when the Universe began....well over 13 billion years ago. SO what ...
Telescope Covers12/24/2005
  Q: Merry Christmas and a happy New Year, Could you help me with a problem please? I have recently ...
  A: Merry Christmas to you! Yes, you have now achieved amateur astronomy nirvana: you finally can ...
Teleskop12/20/2005
  Q: I greet. I on what parameters have to pay back attention buying telescope? About what to ask in ...
  A: Yes, buying from an experienced person is important. The most important factors in buying a ...
Beginner telescope12/11/2005
  Q: I'm interested in buying my boyfriend a telescope for Christmas. He's not a serious astronomer, but ...
  A: Good questions! 1. Yeah, the light pollution in NYC is terrible. That's why you should get him a ...
optics12/10/2005
  Q: Stars, streetlamps and other foci of light seem to have rays which proceed outward from the light's ...
  A: I have some bad news for you. Stars do not have rays--in fact, they are almost perfect point ...
magnification to see galixies12/3/2005
  Q: My Question is how much magnificaeion is needed to see/photograph most galixies. Is 40x enough, or ...
  A: it's not just a question of magnification...light gathering power is more important for these dim ...
telescope mounting11/7/2005
  Q: We're a small architecture practice in South London, UK, and we've recently been short-listed to ...
  A: This is a great question. I am sorry to say that I don't know of any other professional ...
Herschel and Uranus11/3/2005
  Q: Could you please give me a little information about Sir William Herschel and the Telescope he used ...
  A: The Telescopes used by Herschel were huge--one was more than four feet in diameter. That's a lot ...
Collimation11/1/2005
  Q: I wrote a few days ago about a reflector 4.5" f/4.4. I was trying to look at Venus, but the planet ...
  A: Venus is just about the worst thing to use for collimation---it is fuzzy anyway, and often is low on ...
Focusing with a reflector10/29/2005
  Q: I just bought my second telescope, it is a reflector 114mm, f/4.4. The problem that I have ...
  A: Direct image projection on these scopes is tough, because the focal length is so short, and the ...
Electromagnetic spectrum9/20/2005
  Q: Since only two or three of the waves (radio,visible light)in the electromagnetic spectrum ever reach ...
  A: It's true that our atmosphere protects us from astronomical x-rays, and that's a good thing! But ...
astronomy9/16/2005
  Q: I'm doing a beginners course on astronomy and I was wondering if you know some information about ...
  A: There is NO hard scientific evidence of life on other planets. But there certainly is all sorts of ...
brand new observing sites gone bad9/16/2005
  Q: I was reading a book called "Astrophysical Techniques" when I came across this: "It is well-known ...
  A: Sorry I didn't answer sooner--I was in Italy. But yes, there are any number of observing sites that ...
planets9/12/2005
  Q: i would like to know how much each planet moves a year? i am doing a project ay school and need to ...
  A: This is not an easy question to answer. The real question is, motion in relation to what? Each ...
looking for a project subject9/10/2005
  Q: I want to work on an astronomical project and I'm looking for a subject, and is better if the ...
  A: For amateurs, the field is pretty limited in a lot of ways. You might try observing minor planets ...
Northern and Southern Hemisphere Star8/19/2005
  Q: Is there a star that can be seen from both the southern and northern hemispheres?
  A: Sure--plenty of stars. Remember that you can see some stars of the southern hemisphere from the ...
Basic telescope advice for a gift8/10/2005
  Q: I am looking for a gift idea for my father. I was thinking maybe a telescope, somewhere in the $500 ...
  A: This is a good question--and the answer depends on the kind of guy your father is. If he is someone ...
optics7/24/2005
  Q: I may have asked you a question before, but not sure. My question involves the Celestron C 9.25" ...
  A: There SHOULDN'T be a difference in the optics. I suspect it is a little simpler than that. Since ...
historical accounts7/23/2005
  Q: I'm a recent college grad. I was talking a lifer friend of mine (he's been in college for 6 years) ...
  A: Your friend may have taken a lot of science classes, but I'l bet he got these questions wrong on the ...
telescope design7/14/2005
  Q: I have several questions, but will pester you with only a couple here. It seems that the refractors, ...
  A: The first part is easy. Usable magnification on a scope is primarily a function of the quality of ...
moons of Jupiter7/9/2005
  Q: Is it possible to see the moons of Jupiter without a telescope?
  A: This is a great question. The four brightest moons of Jupiter are just barely bright enough, at ...
Collimating a Vixen 90mm Flourite APO5/6/2005
  Q: I recently purchased a used Vixen 90mm Flourite APO Refractor, and I noticed that there are ...
  A: First of all--most refractors don't ever require collimation...that's one of their big advantages. ...
Best Eyepieces5/2/2005
  Q: Paul, My wonderful wife got me an 8" Celestron SCT a couple of days ago, and I am having a great ...
  A: First of all, let me congratulate you on choosing a truly remarkable wife! The 12mm is a great ...
moon4/26/2005
  Q: What would happen if the moon stopped revolving around the earth?
  A: This sounds suspiciously like a homework question....! First of all, I am assuming that you mean ...
Earth4/20/2005
  Q: Could we artificially speed up the earth's rotation if it stoped or was slowing? -Sarah
  A: Sarah: The only way we could do this would be a question of action and reaction--we would have to ...
Earth's rotation4/19/2005
  Q: What would happen if the Earth stopped rotating over a period of time and stopped altogether but eas ...
  A: I think this must be a homework questions....because you are the second person to ask me this today! ...
Earth's Rotation4/19/2005
  Q: What would happen if the Earth stopped rotating gradually?
  A: This is already happening. Due to the influence of the gravity of the moon ( and of the sun ) the ...
hi I Have just got...3/24/2005
  Q: I Have just got a newtonian telescope which is 76mm diameter and 900mm focal length.I have got 2 ...
  A: You have a nice telescope there, and you should have a lot of fun with it. I don't know what ...
stars3/8/2005
  Q: Why does the sky seem more populated with stars one night, and the next there seem to be far fewer? ...
  A: The answer is pretty simple--it's light pollution. Our civilization creates so much light that the ...
(hard to explain)2/18/2005
  Q: Paul, I hope you are able to understand my question. As I learned in astronomy you sometimes see ...
  A: Telescopes have been aimed at one section of the sky for a few hours, to capture all the light from ...
starting amateur club2/3/2005
  Q: we 4 friends r going 2 start a new astronomy club in our college . wht equipments v require 2 start ...
  A: I don't think you need much equipment. Don't forget that even some professional astronomers focus ...
Color1/31/2005
  Q: What color would a red cloth be if it were illuminated by a white light, a green light, and a blue ...
  A: This sounds suspiciously like a homework question.... For white light, the answer is pretty ...
astronomy12/18/2004
  Q: MR.PAUL WAGNER We are geology group from “world-links group" JORDAN we want to ask you some ...
  A: these sound suspiciously like homework questions...but here goes: Sunspots don't have an effect on ...
What exactly is a "Saros cycle"...12/13/2004
  Q: What exactly is a "Saros cycle" in layman's terms please, Thank you! Lola
  A: The Saros Cycle is just a fancy name for the roughly 18 year-long cycle of eclipses. The Earth and ...
Looking Back?11/29/2004
  Q: I heard that when you look at certain stars in the sky, it takes so long for the light to travel to ...
  A: I think you have a pretty good handle on this already. Light travels at 186,000 miles per ...
go-to dob11/27/2004
  Q: Is there such a thing as a GOTO dobsonian, with drives that can track and maintain alignment for ...
  A: You are a man after my own heart! You want a go-to, clock drive dobsonian, and you want to build it ...
hi In egypt, telescopes are...11/27/2004
  Q: In egypt, telescopes are illegal and can't be found. But I am a real fan of astronmy and I want to ...
  A: You can grind your own mirror for a reflecting telescope...look at willman-bell for kits to do that. ...
schmidt newtonian telescope11/14/2004
  Q: I can not seem to get much info. on this type of newtonian. So I gather it has a corrective lens ...
  A: The real advantage of a schmidt Cassegrain is that it provides high power in a small package. The ...
telescopes11/9/2004
  Q: What would happen if the motor on your telescope broke in the middle of an observing session? What ...
  A: yes, it would be noticeable, almost immediately, because the rotation of the Earth makes the whole ...
moon and seasons10/8/2004
  Q: does any random point on the earth's surface move closer and further away from the moon depending on ...
  A: Yep. As the earth rotates, first one side and then the other is closer to the moon. And the moon's ...
Toutatis Asteroid9/15/2004
  Q: I live 20 miles N.E.of Detroit,on the standard star chart,where can I expect to observe Toutatis,and ...
  A: Toutatis is a very small asteroid with an extremely unusual orbit. Note that because of this, it ...
apparent size of the moon9/3/2004
  Q: How many moons would it take to entirely fill the sky? I heard that the number was 10,000 but round ...
  A: This is really a math problem...but think of it this way: The diameter of the full moon is just ...
choosing telescope8/30/2004
  Q: What telescope do you recommend? I have $400. Thanks. Mike.
  A: A telescope is always a compromise. The perfect scope would have huge aperture, so that it collects ...
The Cassini Mission8/22/2004
  Q: Has The Cassini Mission launched in 1997 reached Saturn and do you have any good interrnet sources ...
  A: The newspapers have been full of this mission's activities recently, including four new moons ...
Early Universe8/21/2004
  Q: When we see pictures of the early universe, like those taken by the Hubble telescope, can we locate ...
  A: Those Hubble photos of the early universe are of objects 10 to 14 billion light years away. The ...
Planet of the Crossing8/17/2004
  Q: I'm sure you may have been asked this in the recent past, but not by me. I am hearing increasing ...
  A: I am surprised you are still hearing about this. Their crazy predictions were that this planet was ...
telescopes8/1/2004
  Q: I have purchased a reflective telescope second hand but I only want to view distant landscapes ...
  A: Sorry to say, you really have bought the wrong kind of telescope for use here on Earth. Astronomic ...
moon/earth6/15/2004
  Q: How long does it take the moon to travel around the earth and how do they calculate this and when ...
  A: The moon travels around the earth about once a month...you can see this from the phases of the moon. ...
Right ascension/declination6/12/2004
  Q: I own a 4.5 inch reflector telescope and have been looking at the sky "manually" for a few months. ...
  A: Yes--youa re getting into more interesting stuff, aren't you! So let's start with a couple of ...
Can angular velocity cover more distance than light!!!!6/3/2004
  Q: I am anup & here is another question for you. 1)Consider,a huge circle made up of very light ...
  A: What happens to the mass of any object when it approaches the speed of light? The flaws in your ...
Absolute space & relativity6/2/2004
  Q: My name is anup & I want to ask you very baffling questions. 1)If a train on the earth moves with ...
  A: I was not quite serious enough in my answer to #4--so have revised it. 1. The person on the sun ...
Triton4/17/2004
  Q: I was reading a book that said that astronomers believe that Triton may have been captured by ...
  A: Here's a nice description of the issue: Triton orbits Neptune in what is known as a retrograde ...
small telescope3/23/2004
  Q: i have a cheap small telescope that works very well when looking at the moon and objects on the ...
  A: You have the hardest combination right now--a small telescope, and the planet Venus. Even my large ...
re-starting3/23/2004
  Q: I'm looking to take up the astronomy hobby I had at age 13 - after a hiatus of 48 years. Retiring ...
  A: Great question. First of all, go to a few star parties and see what other people are using. I have ...
telescope calculations and performace3/22/2004
  Q: How does one determine the maximum useful magnification of a telescope? In compound scopes do you ...
  A: The useful magnification does depend on seeing conditions, as well as the quality of the scope. ...
Telescope columnation3/10/2004
  Q: I have a Helios Startravel 150mm refractor scope on an EQ5 mount. Part of the kit that came with the ...
  A: I think I will need a picture to really help you with this one. A refractor should almost never ...
Detection2/19/2004
  Q: Why can't we use normal light (observable light) to detect the birth of stars and protostars but ...
  A: This sounds suspiciously like a homework question....but let's start with what we know: Stars are ...
stellar distances2/16/2004
  Q: I have found that when I look up stellar distances in various books and websites I get a variety of ...
  A: The reason there seem to be some discrepancies concerning stellar distances has to do with the ...

All Questions in This Category

Astronomy

Paul Wagner

Top Expert on this page