Astrophysics/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Experimental evidence for Universe Expansion12/10/2016Philip A. Stahl
  Q: I have heard about red-shift experiments that show that most stellar objects are receding from each ...
  A: First, it is incorrect to refer to "most stellar objects” receding from each other in the context of ...
superfluidity12/1/2016Dr. Stephen O. Nelson
  Q: what is superfluidity actually ?
  A: Superfluidity is a state where a fluid can flow with no viscosity, like liquid helium below 4 ...
Inflation & the multiverse10/25/2016Philip A. Stahl
  Q: I've been following popular science all my life, incl. aspects of cosmology, but recent news casting ...
  A: and thanks for your question. First, let me point out that the "multiverse" remains a reasonably ...
big bang9/24/2016Dr. Stephen O. Nelson
  Q: could the big bang be caused by one singularity being matter and another singularity being ...
  A: The word "singularity" implies that the laws of physics break down and we don't know what that ...
Earth obrit7/9/2016Dr. Stephen O. Nelson
  Q: I am not in the subject of physics, but keen to know about univers. Could I know that the earth ...
  A: The Earth is moving around the Sun due to the curvature of space. The planets are slowly moving ...
help6/27/2016Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Sir here is my question is related to matter. Sir why scientist have named everything around us as ...
  A: Empirical science is concerned with inquiry at every level, and in physics at the most fundamental ...
Shape of earth6/1/2016Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Why is our earth spherical like most other planets and stars? Couldn't it be flat or cubic? I may ...
  A: First, planets and stars acquire spherical shapes by different processes. Stars form from the ...
Habitable planets within 260000 light years5/7/2016James Gort
  Q: There's 260000 stars within 250 light years of us. So out of these 260000 stars how many are of the ...
  A: A recent study published in the "Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society" ...
gravity5/4/2016James Gort
  Q: How does gravity affects time? Expression of relation between time and gravityi
  A: The answer to your question can be very involved, and I'm not sure how mathematical you'd like the ...
Curious3/30/2016Philip A. Stahl
  Q: it is said that if - hypothetically - a space craft moved almost at the speed of light the space ...
  A: Actually in terms of special relativity it is the mass that is critical not the size. (Which is more ...
Dark matter3/24/2016Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Scientists know that there must be more mass than what is visible in galaxies as they manage to hold ...
  A: The conception of dark matter planets or solar systems for that matter is dependent on how well we ...
Red shift and expanding space....1/14/2016Dr. Stephen O. Nelson
  Q: One more question....As curved space curves light,does expanding space make light wavelenght longer ...
  A: Well, it should transition the wavelength of light. I'll have to look into the math to be sure, but ...
How much energy would be needed to generate a wormhole?1/12/2016Dr. Stephen O. Nelson
  Q: How much energy would be needed to generate a wormhole? I am not talking about specific numbers, ...
  A: You would need something on the order of the energy of an evaporating, spinning, massive black hole. ...
How much old the universe really is?....1/10/2016Dr. Stephen O. Nelson
  Q: If We look at the farthest objects in the observable universe We see quasars how they were 13.7 ...
  A: Your thinking about this problem will probably be eased with the addition of understanding that the ...
gravity and light1/7/2016Dr. Stephen O. Nelson
  Q: Please can You answer does gravity bend al frequencies of em-waves in the same way or not and why?
  A: The simple answer is that for all practical purposes, it does. It doesn't really "bend the light," ...
Black Hole Experiment12/22/2015Dr. Stephen O. Nelson
  Q: Dr. Nelson, I have tried now with multiple pumps and various types of tubing; however, the intake ...
  A: Wow, that doesn't seem possible. In fact, that result itself might be very interesting science and ...
Lagrange points12/3/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: What way would an object at L1 progress if pushed, say, directly towards earth? I figure it's period ...
  A: You say you 'can't work it out'. What exactly are you trying to work out? Velocity, acceleration, ...
Cosmic rays11/13/2015Dr. Stephen O. Nelson
  Q: How astronauts are protected from the cosmic rays in the space?
  A: They're generally still within the Earth's magnetic field when they're in orbit for long periods. ...
Climate11/8/2015Dr. Stephen O. Nelson
  Q: Do you have any idea why the weather changes?
  A: There are hundreds of factors causing the weather to change. On a day-to-day basis, the weather ...
Equation of motion for the radius of the universe10/31/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: I found that the formula of equation of motion for the radius of the universe is : R" = ...
  A: And thanks for your question. In answer to your question (1), the reason we have the second ...
AP Theory10/29/2015Dr. Stephen O. Nelson
  Q: I read your thoughts (answers), and agree with you, regarding the fact that due to weight of ...
  A: There are dozens and dozens of such science crackpots online. This isn't even the biggest one, and ...
Science Fair Help10/18/2015Dr. Stephen O. Nelson
  Q: Nelson, My name is Jonathan. I am in the 11th grade at my high school. Science Fair is fast ...
  A: In the 11th grade, I assume you want something more impressive than a 5th grader would do. ...
Does habitable planet mean a planet with life on them?10/1/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: I just read that Milky Way has a minimum of a billion and a maximum of a hundred billion habitable ...
  A: No, a "habitable planet" does not mean a planet bearing actual life, only potentially. It means the ...
Question about Venus' temperature.9/14/2015Dr. Stephen O. Nelson
  Q: How much would Venus cool down if it had rotated around itself as fast as the Earth does?
  A: Due to Venus's very thick carbon dioxide atmosphere, its temperature is actually largely due to the ...
How close to confirmed it is that our galaxy is 50% larger?9/13/2015Dr. Stephen O. Nelson
  Q: Greetings! On this year there where news about our galaxy being fifty percent larger than we had ...
  A: I'm going to preface this by saying that this is not in my direct research area of expertise. ...
Our galaxy cluster?8/19/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: I know we belong to the local group of galaxies and Virgo supercluster off galaxies but to which ...
  A: Actually, the Virgo supercluster is *also* called the Local supercluster and our local group belongs ...
Are planets around red dwarf stars habitable?8/12/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Do red dwarf type stars have any chances of harboring life bearing planets on their orbits? Because ...
  A: Given red dwarf stars exhibit much lower surface temperature (4,000 F vs. 11,000 F for Sun) one ...
Photos from vacuum7/29/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Good day. If we were placed in a vacuum to the electromagnetic field of high performance and ...
  A: I am not quite sure of the meaning of your question. Is it possible for you to rephrase it, to make ...
How many stars in this area?7/26/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Greetings, Mr. Stahl. I am working on a fanfic of a science fiction franchise I am fond of. So ...
  A: First, let's change the units to parsecs instead of light years. Currently, the star density near ...
connection between blackholes and suns7/22/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Is it possible that a blackhole and a sun act in tandem as a from of combustion engine. Where the ...
  A: You come up with an interesting proposition, but alas, it's a non-starter. For one thing there is no ...
Hubbles red shift6/2/2015Dr. Stephen O. Nelson
  Q: I was looking at some of your answers in astrophysics related question--- like Red shift. It appears ...
  A: Expansion of the universe (Hubble) gives us velocities for distant objects. This causes the Doppler ...
Quantum5/25/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Can quantum fluctuation create something from "nothing" (a vacuum)? In quantum cannot electrons and ...
  A: Charles First, 'nothing' in physics terms is generally taken to refer to a negative energy quantum ...
Appearance of the MCs before gravitational distortion?5/17/2015James Gort
  Q: So the Milky Way pretty much destroyed the appearance of Magellanic Clouds with its gravitational ...
  A: Almost but not quite. Many speculate that the Magellanic Clouds were barred spirals before being ...
Zeeman effect in sunspots5/17/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Can you give me a quantitative example of how the Zeeman effect can be used to find the magnetic ...
  A: The classic Zeeman effect occurs in "triplet" form and can be quantified as George Ellery Hale ...
Size of the universe through the ages5/15/2015James Gort
  Q: there is a diagram where i can see the dimension of universe in function of time ? I know that the ...
  A: This is a very difficult question to answer, for three main reasons: 1) We don't know the current ...
Size of the universe5/6/2015James Gort
  Q: Galaxy EGS-zs8-1 was recently discovered and is said to be the oldest galaxy we know of. It is said ...
  A: This question requires a lengthy answer. But the confusion lies, I think, in the published ...
How many habitable planets are in the Milky Way?4/10/2015James Gort
  Q: So I am working on worldbuilding a science fiction story and I need some consultation on how many ...
  A: I can give you a wild guess based on my estimates of total number of stars in the Milky Way (more ...
How many stars are in our local galaxy group?4/7/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: How many stars have been estimated to be in our local galaxy group?
  A: By "local galaxy group" I presume you mean the Milky Way galaxy. However, the estimate is not a ...
How far are these places in this picture?3/31/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: I am a fan of Mass Effect video game series (as my email name might suggest :D ) and in the game ...
  A: Unfortunately, there isn't enough information given to make such a distance determination. While the ...
The appearance of dwarf galaxies.3/30/2015James Gort
  Q: Why are the dwarf galaxies so much different looking than the bigger ones like the one we live in? ...
  A: This question is one of much current research. It seems that galaxy formation is a very complicated ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

Astrophysics

Philip A. Stahl

Top Expert on this page