Astrophysics/black hole

Question
Dear Mr. Stahl

I just wondering since i learnt about both penrose process and hawking effect. Both effects state that particle falling into Black Hole will eventually gets it negative value by "timelike and spacelike shifting" when it reached event horizon. However what about ordinary particle which enter a BH? Does it still experience a
"timelike and spacelike shifting" and gets negative value?

Thank you so much

Answer
Hello,

Apart from an answer previously given, i.e.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Astrophysics-3368/2012/11/hawking-radiation-kerr-blac

I am not aware of any "timelike and spacelike shifting" in connection with the Hawking and Penrose processes.   For sure, it would seem that an "ordinary particle" would not remarkably affect outcomes given that particle -antiparticle pairs are being created all the time and are always being created, destroyed.

Please note also the definitional terms here: an "ordinary" particle is what you are really referring to as a "positive particle" in terms of particle-anti-particle pairs. Hence, they are already subsumed into the respective processes.

More to the point (see e.g. 'Gravitation and Inertia', p. 68), the interactions of these particles can never be observed at everyday scales of time anyway - so it's kind of like asking how many angels dance on the point of a pin.   This is why particle pairs putatively created are called "virtual pairs".

What may be getting confused here is that SOME particle orbits in the Ergosphere have a negative total potential energy, i.e. the gravitational binding energy of the orbit exceeds sums of the rest mass and the kinetic energy.  Other particle orbits will display the converse, so that the gravitational binding energy of the orbit is LESS than sums of the rest mass and the kinetic energy. These then are positive total energy orbits.

I think the key here is carefully distinguishing what is "positive" and "negative" when we look at particles in the vicinity of black holes.

If you can provide the source of where exactly you read about "timelike and spacelike shifting" in conjunction with the Penrose and Hawking processes it would also be helpful.  

Astrophysics

Philip A. Stahl