Astrophysics/Alternate universe/multiverse question

I was wondering if it is a true theory that there are multiple dimensions in which our lives are different, or is this a work of science fiction? I have looked online in numerous areas and couldn't find a conclusive answer.

HAhahahaha!  Sorry, good one.  "True theory" of multiple dimensions is untestable with our current science, so it's kind of an oxymoron.  It's true, in theory, but you can theorize anything you want. Until it can be tested and/or make predictions about the observable universe then it's not what scientists would call a theory.  Assuming that "true" is the part you're looking for, meaning tested and verifiable.  The answer to that NO. In no way/shape/form are such theories tested and verified experimentally.  It is a good idea for science fiction, stemming from the multiple-universes interpretation of quantum mechanics.  It is also something we cannot test in any way.  You won't find a conclusive answer, period, and anyone who says different is a crackpot or a liar.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

Fusion, solar flares, cosmic rays, radiation in space, and stellar physics questions. Generally, nuclear-related astrophysics, but I can usually point you in the right direction if it's not nuclear-related or if it's nuclear but not astrophysics.

Just moved from being a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin into government work. Doctoral dissertation was on a reaction in CNO-cycle fusion, worked in gamma-ray astronomy in the space science division of the naval research laboratory in the high-energy space environment branch.

Government work as a physical scientist with a nuclear focus.

Ph.D. in physics, research was on nuclear fusion reactions important in stellar fusion, further work on space telescope technology.