Astrophysics/Alcubierre drive theory?

Question
If a star is 500 light years away, the light we get from it was emitted 500 years ago, so if I used an Alcubierre drive to travel to that location (assuming it works) would the time of the destination AND the point of departure remain the same actual times? Or am I going into the past?

Answer
Hello,

Miguel Alcubierre's warp drive is predicated on a "local expansion of space-time" behind a spacecraft, while at the same time there’s an opposite contraction of space-time in front of it.

But, there is this important difference to warp drives as depicted in science fiction (e.g. Star Trek): In the Alcubierre warp drive travelers are never really moving faster than the speed of light, since technically they always remain “in their own light cones”. So, rather than an FTL (faster-than-light) displacement of their inertial reference frame (attached to the ship) itself, it is the expansion of space-time that creates the enormous speed of separation.

To obtain this, the appropriate metric must be found, e.g. to “push” the craft along a trajectory described by an arbitrary function of time, say S(t).

The primary proviso for the above, is that the 3-metric be ‘positive-definite’ for all values of t, so the space time is then globally ‘hyperbolic’. The key point is that for the conditions set out, there’ll be no "causal curves", generating the sort of paradox described in the experiment on the laser pulse at NEC Research Institute some years ago (where the pulse was seemingly received before the laser was activated)

It’s important to bear in mind that proper time always applies to the coordinates of the starting and destination points, as well as to the craft(though the latter will be subject to time dilation during the initial and final stages of the trip when moving through flat space-time). This means that only the time on the craft is affected, but that the home world of the travelers, say if at immense distance, would long since have changed by their return.

Rather than "going into the past" it would more be a case of going into the future. (N.B. from the conditions given above, one cannot ensure that the times of destination and departure points remain the same)  

Astrophysics

Philip A. Stahl