Astrophysics/Energy received by starship shields from a blue giant

Hi! In SciFi tv series Stargate SG-1 a Goa'Uld Ha'Tak vessel goes hiding into the corona of a blue giant star for 10 hours and uses its shields to block the radiation coming from the star. The shields have a diameter of around one kilometer. So could you give me an estimate on how much energy would a medium sized blue giant emit into a spherical shield of 1 kilometer in diameter when it is in its corona per second an the total of 10 hours? I know this might be a little bit hard to estimate but any estimations I'll welcome.

Hi Mika,

I'll come up with an order-of-magnitude estimate, but I'll describe my process, so you can refine it, if you'd like. Or even find an error I might have made!

A "typical" blue giant has a total luminosity of about 10^4 that of the sun, and a radius of about 8 times the sun's. Lum(sun) = 4 x 10^26 watts, so Lum(blue giant) =  4 x 10^30 watts.

r(sun) = 7 x 10^5 km, so r(blue giant) = 5.6 x 10^6 km.

Your spherical shield is 1 km in diameter, so it's surface area as seen by the star (and receiving the star's radiation) is 0.8 km^2.

Now, the hard part. You said the vessel went into the blue giant's corona. Well, many blue giants don't have a corona! That said, blue giants are a heterogeneous lot, and some might have a corona, so we'll assume this one does. And we'll assume it extends well beyond a million kilometers from the "surface". So we'll assume the vessel approached the star to within a million kilometers.

The area of a sphere at the vessel's location (the entire sphere (Dyson Sphere) would capture the star's total radiation) = 4 x pi x (6.6 x 10^6 km)^2 = 5.5 x 10^14 km^2

The fraction of total radiation received by the shield is (0.8 km^2) / (5.5 x 10^14 km^2) = 1.5 x 10^-15.

The total power received by the sphere is then (1.5 x 10^-15) x (4 x 10-^30 watts) = 6 x 10^15 watts

To find energy:

Total energy received in 10 hours = (6 x 10^15 J/s) x (10 hr) x (60 m/hr) x (60 s/m) = 2 x 10^20 J

This is approximately half of the entire annual global energy consumption.

Please check my work. Hope that helps.

Prof. James Gort  

James Gort

Questions on observational astronomy, optics, and astrophysics. Specializing in the evolution of stars, variable stars, supernovae, neuton stars/pulsars, black holes, quasars, and cosmology.

I was a professional astronomer (University of Texas, McDonald Observatory), lecturer at the Adler Planetarium, professor of astrophysics, and amateur astronomer for 42 years. I have made numerous telescopes, and I am currently building one of the largest private observatories in Canada.

StarDate, University of Texas, numerous Journal Publications

B.A. Physics and Astronomy M.Sc. Physics Ph.D. Astrophysics