Astrophysics/Is FTL travel through wormhole feasible or even possible at all?

Question
Hi! I was wondering if wormhole ftl travel is a feasible idea or even possible ar all. So what's your educated opinion about this?

Answer
Hello Mika,

While I don't like speculating (physics is all about testing an hypothesis or model with experiment or observation), I'll give you my best guess.

FTL travel through a transversable wormhole is not excluded by current laws, and, if Kip Thorne says it's possible, I can't disagree with him. He certainly has done more research on it than I have - see "Black Holes and Time Warps" - his excellent introduction to the subject.

And even current quantum theory doesn't exclude FTL photons. See Feynman's little (but excellent) book entitled "QED - the Strange Theory of Light and Matter", in which he describes Quantum Electrodynamics, and the fact that photons can (and do) travel faster than 'C' (and slower than 'C').

But QED is well proven - down to many decimal places. FTL through a wormhole is only an unproven theory. As I said in the beginning, physics must present a model and see how well that model fits with experiment or observation. Anything less is just conjecture.

So I'll keep an open mind (everyone should do that!), but I can't say that it's definitely possible and that we'll see tangible proof in the future. Nor can I say it's impossible. Is it probable? My best guess is it's more likely than not. I'd give it a 60% chance of being proven some day. Time will tell...

Prof. James Gort  

Astrophysics

James Gort