Astrophysics/How long has the Universe been capable of supporting life?

Question
How long has the Universe been capable of supporting life like our biosphere has? I mean like when did the first stars evolve that had created the elements like iron, etc... and when in generally did the Universe fit our Earthly standards of habitability?

Answer
Quickly, in fact.  The thing is, the regions which can support life like on Earth have been expanding since the first few stars exploded and left material to make planets from.  That process would've taken billions of years, to boot, so it can't have been more than about 10 billion years that the universe could've created planets capable of habitability.  At that point, there were probably very few places in the universe with planets still, but some would've been right.  In the 10 billion years since, that number has expanded drastically!

Astrophysics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson