Astrophysics/Size of Universe after inflaction

Question
Read in several publications that the Universe during a very short time (inflation), increased its size by a factor of 10 ^ 50. What does it mean to increase the size of 10 ^ 50 if you do not specify, from what? If I go from 1mm and the increase of 10 ^ 50 I will have a final measure, for example if I go by the Planck length I'll have another ...

Answer
Hello,

In  general, in terms of the operaton of cosmic inflation, we commence the initial size of the universe at 1 fm (Fermi = 10^ -15 m or about the size of a proton)

Then the inflating cosmos attains a scale of about eight times the Earth-Sun distance (8 astronomical units or 1.2 x 10^12 m) after 90 doubling times, with periods ranging from 10^ -43 secs to 10^ -36 secs.

Now, if you go from 1 fm  and increase the scale by 10 ^ 50 then:

(10^ -15 m) (10^50) =   10 ^35 m

Which is, of course, preposterous given the actual spatial diameter of the extant cosmos is 66 billion light years in diameter, or

(9.4 x 10^ 15 m/ LY) (6.6 x 10^10 LY) =  6.2 x 10^26 m

In other words the 10^50 factor would make the inflated cosmos some 24 orders of magnitude greater  than the diameter of the actual cosmos.

So, let's say something is fishy here! What I don't know since I have not seen the sources from which you extracted the information.  

Astrophysics

Philip A. Stahl