Astrophysics/Warp Bubbles?

Question
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to help.  So, for possibly the dorkiest of reasons I've got a question about warp bubbles.  :)  I'm a gamer and I'm about to start up a new game with a bunch of friends and for the setting I'm trying to have more science in my science fiction this time around.  (We've done more of a space fantasy thing in the past.  Fun but done.)  As such I'm trying to get my understanding of the potential science involved to a point of "not intrinsically embarrassing to myself and others."  So...  I'm trying to understand warp bubbles I've heard about in what I assume is bad reporting about science.  

So I know someone figured out how to theoretically set up a warp bubble to not require obnoxious amounts of non-existant exotic matter.  I know that there's a problem how that washes with quantum mechanics and...  That's about where my understanding ends.  

My questions such as they are:

1)  What is the theoretical max speed if c isn't the speed limit of the universe anymore?

2)  What controls the max velocity?  Some other physical law?  Technological refinement?

3)  Is there anything approachable for a non-physicist such as myself where I read up on this stuff without too much sensationalism?  I dig futurism and all but would like to be actually informed one way or another.

I realize this might run afoul your "no bunk" policy.  I apologize if that's the case.  

Many thanks again!

Answer
Hello,

The only context in which I am aware of "warp bubbles" is with the proposed Alcubierre "warp drive" and a question on that was addressed two years ago, i.e.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Astrophysics-3368/2013/4/alcubierre-drive-theory.htm

The key point in the preceding is that "warp drive travelers are never really moving faster than the speed of light, since technically they always remain “in their own light cones”. So, rather than an FTL (faster-than-light) displacement of their inertial reference frame (attached to the ship) itself, it is the expansion of space-time that creates the enormous speed of separation."

In addition, let's be clear that in any cosmological argument-context one has to take care to define an *inertial reference* frame, otherwise all observations and assumptions amount to comparing apples and oranges. Any given photon in an inertial reference frame, and based on Einstein's relativity, travels at the speed of light c. There is no faster speed, though tachyons have been conjectured.

Based on all this your questions can be answered as follows:

1) The speed of light, c, is still the maximum 'speed limit' of the universe.

2) There is no "physical law" that controls any maximum velocity other than Einstein's postulate from the special theory of relativity - that c = 300,000 km/sec

3) I suggest if you'd like to learn much more to get hold of Kip Thorne's book: 'Black Holes and Time Warps' especially Chapter 2, 'The Warping of Space and Time'

Hope this proves useful!

Astrophysics

Philip A. Stahl