Astrophysics/Alcubierre drive question

Question
If we assume that FTL with Alcubierre drive is possible, could you going by that assumption find any reason why an Alcubierre drive would have a top speed it can reach like for instance 4380 times the speed of light?

Answer
Hi Mika,

The limit, as I see it, would be determined from the rate at which (negative) energy must be extracted from the vacuum or the total amount of exotic (negative mass) material available. Conservation of energy (positive or negative) would still seem to apply. Unless there's a spontaneous symmetry breaking - in that case, I can't see a limit. Which doesn't mean there isn't one. It just means we're dealing with a largely unknown region of GR (or quantum gravity). Or something else.

Prof. James Gort  

Astrophysics

James Gort