Astrophysics/Appearance of the MCs before gravitational distortion?

So the Milky Way pretty much destroyed the appearance of Magellanic Clouds with its gravitational distortion.

So did the clouds look like smaller versions of Milky Way before this distortion?

Hi Mika,

Almost but not quite. Many speculate that the Magellanic Clouds were barred spirals before being disrupted by the Milky Way. But galactic evolution is still an area with many unanswered questions, so that opinion is subject to change!

Prof. James Gort  

James Gort

Questions on observational astronomy, optics, and astrophysics. Specializing in the evolution of stars, variable stars, supernovae, neuton stars/pulsars, black holes, quasars, and cosmology.

I was a professional astronomer (University of Texas, McDonald Observatory), lecturer at the Adler Planetarium, professor of astrophysics, and amateur astronomer for 42 years. I have made numerous telescopes, and I am currently building one of the largest private observatories in Canada.

StarDate, University of Texas, numerous Journal Publications

B.A. Physics and Astronomy M.Sc. Physics Ph.D. Astrophysics