Atheism/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
life11/7/2016Vincent M. Wales
  Q: I am curious to know how life changes after becoming atheist. Are you more happier compared to the ...
  A: Mohd: Well, here's the thing. You talk about having a deity to rely on and supernatural help, but I ...
changing morals followup211/1/2016Vincent M. Wales
  Q: My initial question was when murder, theft can be justified by some people, how can those deeds be ...
  A: I think the problem you're having is that you're insisting that everything be black and white, when ...
changing morals - followup10/25/2016Vincent M. Wales
  Q: It is very difficult to overcome the human desires which is considered immoral by society. Why ...
  A: Once again, your initial question was about morality. And I stand by my statement that fear is not a ...
changing morals followup10/17/2016Vincent M. Wales
  Q: As you mentioned, it is possible that some people can be moral even without universal morality but ...
  A: Don't confuse legality with morality. There are plenty of things that are illegal that are not ...
slavery9/19/2016Philip A. Stahl
  Q: In ancient times, it was considered ethical/moral for a nation to invade another nation. Huge number ...
  A: Just a word of note: If you wish me to continue answering your questions I will expect you to give ...
changing morals - followup9/6/2016Vincent M. Wales
  Q: You wrote: "To my mind, anything that is harmful to the tribe is "immoral." So the obvious things ...
  A: One of the problems that always creeps into a discussion of morality is the tendency to conflate ...
changing morals9/4/2016Vincent M. Wales
  Q: If there is no objective morality, how could we determine ethics/morals. What is moral/ethical today ...
  A: Amtry: I'm certain I've answered this question before on AllExperts, but as the search function is ...
further on morals8/15/2016Philip A. Stahl
  Q: "As I pointed out in both, the true scientific Materialist, by definition, respects his fellow men ...
  A: As I pointed out earlier, it is not specifically "morals" (which has too great a generality), but ...
regarding morals7/21/2016Philip A. Stahl
  Q: If there is no objective morality, how could we determine morals. What is moral today may not be ...
  A: We could determine a relatively objective ethics (morality is much more general) by appeal to ...
Miracles - Followup7/18/2016Philip A. Stahl
  Q: (Miracles - Followup). You asked for Michael Shermer's reference indicating design which I provided. ...
  A: I am sorry, but I only deal with *questions* - not conjectures or even links posted. If you have a ...
atheist morals6/19/2016Margaret Placentra Johnston
  Q: Most atheists I talk to, define "right" (lets put it in simple terms) as helping other people or ...
  A: I have reread your questions several times, and I am not sure I am totally certain what you are ...
charlesandsandra@wowway.com2/10/2016Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Do all atheists believe there is a reality beyond the boundaries of human imagination? For example ...
  A: Charles, No, most atheists - it is safe to say - don't acknowledge any reality beyond the material ...
Why do christians think masturbation is a sin?1/3/2016Margaret Placentra Johnston
  Q: In recent times I've gotten somewhat interested in the question as to why both Christians and ...
  A: Though I am no expert on this particular matter, I will do my best to respond - at least to the ...
AtheÔsm in the states10/5/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Heya, I am currently writing a blog about atheÔsm in the Netherlands. I'm trying to figure ...
  A: You are quite correct of your assessment of the perceptions of atheism in the U.S. According to a ...
Facts8/25/2015Vincent M. Wales
  Q: Are facts established by critical examination and understanding?
  A: What kind of facts are we talking about? Historical facts? Scientific facts? Philosophical facts? ...
Pain, injury, disease and loss6/28/2015Vincent M. Wales
  Q: Though atheists claim they have no fear of death and oblivion do they still have a fear of pain, ...
  A: Charles, don't take offense to this, but are you kidding me? What human being is NOT afraid of ...
Consciousness and quantum physics?6/5/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Since plain old chemistry has proved it is certainly a great part of what makes a person who they ...
  A: Again, I reiterate that this is just a conjecture in response to your (and others) inquiries into ...
Do atheists ever wonder?6/4/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Do atheists ever wonder if an afterlife may well be within the mysteries of nature? Or is that just ...
  A: Charles, Actually, the issue you bring up is one I have addressed in previous questions, as well as ...
Survival instinct6/2/2015Vincent M. Wales
  Q: Vincent, What do you think about the following statements? James Randi and many atheists are ...
  A: Charles: Apologies for the delay in responding. My ISP was having issues last night. While you're ...
Atheism and Holidays5/21/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: If you don't mind I would like to ask you a question. 1) How to Atheists justify celebrating ...
  A: First, let's understand that "Christmas" - defined as the nativity of Christ- is not a hard and fast ...
Science and religion are different 25/18/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Since religion is based on faith, "Blessed is he who has not seen but yet believes" and science IS ...
  A: Actually, I agree with you! However, so long as religion or more accurately - religiously motivated ...
ontological argument5/17/2015Vincent M. Wales
  Q: how would you explain Anselm's ontological argument for god's existence? Thanks so much
  A: How do I explain it? As pointless. As I find all ontological arguements to be, really. Such ...
Confused5/17/2015Vincent M. Wales
  Q: I have one more question, thanks for responding to my last question. Why are claims like what is ...
  A: Boone: Happy to answer your questions. This one, interestingly, gets right to the heart of my ...
Philosophy Studying5/17/2015Vincent M. Wales
  Q: I'm studying the ontological argument for god's existence and I wanted to know what you think about ...
  A: Boone: Nope. In fact, I find it to be laughably unconvincing. The minute you state that the ...
Clarification on belief and behavior5/11/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Are you saying that neither a belief or non-belief in God has anything to do with morals and ...
  A: To your question, yes, that is what I'm saying. It simply isnít necessary to posit a god to ...
The unknown5/11/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: Is atheism sufficient to encompass the unknown? Or could there be something else we have yet to ...
  A: This question actually misconstrues atheism. It isn't the business of atheism to investigate, ...
The operation of atheism5/11/2015Vincent M. Wales
  Q: How does atheism operate in the realm of human purposes, meanings and values?
  A: Well, that's the thing, Charles. It doesn't. Remember, atheism is a description of what a person ...
Behavior5/10/2015Margaret Placentra Johnston
  Q: How does atheism teach us how to behave?
  A: The answer I give you to this question will be filtered through the lens of spiritual development ...
Christianity vs Atheism5/7/2015Margaret Placentra Johnston
  Q: I would simply like to ask you a couple questions for a paper I am putting together. If you can just ...
  A: These are questions that could take several whole books to answer, but let me try to do it ...
Thinking of Becoming an Athiest4/28/2015Margaret Placentra Johnston
  Q: Is it okay for me to secretly be an Athiest? Recently, I've been attending two different churches. ...
  A: It was interesting to read what you are going through these days. I have interviewed and read about ...
Revert From Atheism4/3/2015Margaret Placentra Johnston
  Q: I am inquiring information about atheism within the 21st century. Are you aware of a case in which a ...
  A: This question is "right up my alley" so to speak. Having studied the spiritual development stages - ...
Revert From Atheism4/3/2015Vincent M. Wales
  Q: Mr. Wales I am inquiring information about atheism within the 21st century. Are you aware of a case ...
  A: Sharah: Thanks for the question. Speaking only from my own personal experience, I have never ...
insults4/3/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: You wrote: " I have seen where atheists insulted religious people were usually when the latter ...
  A: It is really difficult to place your complaint in any context since you have not provided any ...
regarding life3/30/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: In one of your reply, you wrote: "Why should you care if "everything will just end"? Well, because ...
  A: Ok, let me rephrase that: Humans ought to be able to maximize whatever potential they have, ...
life2/28/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: If life will just end afer deash, i.e. there is no aferlife, why should I then even care about my ...
  A: Well, because life has meaning and purpose even if there is no recognizable individual afterlife. ...
atheists morality1/29/2015Jeffrey Ellsworth
  Q: I was wondering how atheists determine if a particular action is moral or immoral? Is incest between ...
  A: Ethics: Atheists generally follow the Golden Rule [1]. A formal argument can be made for any ...
insults1/26/2015Philip A. Stahl
  Q: I was wondering why some atheists insult other religious figures. Why cant they just criticize and ...
  A: Let me say first that hurling insults can never be justified. Having said that, the only occasions I ...
Pre-science and science.1/15/2015Jeffrey Ellsworth
  Q: There is little doubt that there has always been a huge gap between pre-scientific and scientific ...
  A: Hey Charles, Sorry the response took me so long! Busy times! Your questions gets at two issues - ...
Why do young people move away from religion? - Research1/8/2015Jeffrey Ellsworth
  Q: Eldred, My name is Luca Hensel, I am a german exchange student. I am a journalism student at ...
  A: interesting subjects! I'm happy to help with your journalism project, I only hope that my comments ...
Why do young people move away from religion? - Research1/8/2015Vincent M. Wales
  Q: Wales, My name is Luca Hensel, I am a german exchange student. I am a journalism student at Sharon ...
  A: Luca: Hello and thanks for writing. I hope you enjoy your stay in the States. I've never traveled ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

Atheism

Philip A. Stahl

Top Expert on this page