Atheism/christians and science

I was wondering how much truth is there in the claim that "modern science is only possible in a "christian worldview?" as some creationists like to claim? here is an example

It might, in theory, be possible to argue that the development of modern science was made easier due to some of the beliefs common to European Christianity (like for example the idea that the universe was made to be comprehensible). I don't think that any of those beliefs were absolutely necessary to Christianity, though, because not every Christian culture shared them.

Finally, however valid such an argument would be, it wouldn't demonstrate that the ongoing existence of science is in any way tied to Christianity. Non-Christians seem to do just fine with science; Jews, for example, win Nobel prizes at unusually high rates.

Austin Cline

I can address questions regarding atheism, agnosticism, skepticism, humanism, religious philosophy & history, and arguments both for and against theism. I am also familiar with many of the skeptical and atheist resources in print and on the internet.

I have been an atheist and a secular humanist for many years. I actively run a site about agnosticism & atheism and attempt to help people understand more about these topics. I have made extensive study of both philosophy and of a wide vareity of religions.

I belong to the Freedom From Religion Foundation and the Council for Secular Humanism.

My writings appear every week on the Agnosticism/Atheism site

I have a BA from the University of Pennsylvania and an MA from Princeton University. I have also studied in Germany and Switzerland.

Phi Beta Kappa and a Fulbright Scholar.