Atheism/What is God? I suspect I may know

QUESTION: Why haven't atheists moved on to defining God is, in reality, unknown natural law. In other words the complete unknown which we will always be incapable of fathoming because of the limitations of the human mind and science? Rather than saying God does not exist? Who created a limited definition of God for atheists as in the God of the Bible?

ANSWER: Basically, Charles, I'd say we don't feel there's any reason to call "unknown natural law" "God." Why would we?

The term "God," whether you mean the specific Judeo-Christian version or not, implies a certain set of characteristics that do not apply to "unknowwn natural law." We atheists react to the word as "defined" by the believers. Seems to be the sensible thing to do.

QUESTION: I think, as did Joseph Conrad, that the one and true God remains silent.
I am pretty sure I am a believer in God. I think man made religions and atheism think they have the final word on what is God. I think they are wrong. I have hope, faith and pray though it may mean nothing at all.
Martin Gardner, one of the world's greatest puzzlers, was my friend and mentor. Perhaps I believe in magic. It is easy for humans to deceive themselves. Our senses are very limited. We enjoy watching and being entertained by a fine magician performing a trick that for one moment seems impossible. But it is not. It is this magician's unique personality, dynamics, knowledge, practice, skill and use of natural laws that bewilders us. God may be like that. I don't know. But I suspect it. On his wall Martin had a painting of the last supper. Jesus, for his friends, was doing the cups and balls producing live baby chicks.
If I am anything, I think I am a very happy puzzler who knew true love.

Like many atheists, I don't really have an issue with an individual choosing to believe in a deity. It only becomes an issue when that belief is thrust upon others, when it impacts education or government, etc.

I do agree with you, though, that it's "easy for humans to deceive themselves."  

Vincent M. Wales

Skeptic and atheist for more than three decades.

Living as a non-believer in an increasingly religious nation... and writing about it.

Atheists and Other Freethinkers (Sacramento)
Freedom from Religion Foundation
(founder of) Freethought Society of Northern Utah

Not really applicable.