Atheism/insults

Rex Ratio wrote at 2015-04-08 13:11:19
Perhaps you should consider the fact that Atheists are not treated equally in society, even today. Atheists are the one of the most discriminated and the most underrepresented group in the United States (atheists consitute about 30% of the poulation and have ZERO representation). Several states even have legislation to ban atheists from public office. The plethora of insults and discrimination that atheists have to endure every day hardly gets any media attention, but when a belief system is satired or put into question, it is immediately labeled as "intolerant". Consider, in comparison, that in European countries, which are predominantly atheist, none of these nations have created legislation to ban theists from public functions.

"Atheists are not patriots" - claim in the 9th Circuit Court case, 2013

"Children don't get play time when they do not pray" - Hardesty, OK, 2007

Arkansas State Law: Article 19, Section 1

"No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court."

Maryland State Law, Article 37:

"That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution."

Mississippi State Law, Article 14, Section 265:

"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state."

North Carolina State Law, Article 6, Section 8:

"The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God."

South Carolina State Law, Article 17, Section 4:

"No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution."

Tennessee State Law, Article 9, Section 2:

"No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."

Texas State Law, Article 1, Section 4:

"No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being."[96]

Pennsylvania State Law, Article 1, Section 4:

"No person who acknowledges the being of a God and a future state of rewards and punishments shall, on account of his religious sentiments, be disqualified to hold any office or place of trust or profit under this Commonwealth."

Philip A. Stahl wrote at 2015-04-13 04:53:46
Excellent points made on how atheists are treated, and I hope Mr "amtry" processes them in conjunction with how badly he believes religious people are treated!

Atheism

Philip A. Stahl