Atheism/charlesandsandra@wowway.com

Question
Do all atheists believe there is a reality beyond the boundaries of human imagination? For example each us have our own experiences, history, culture, environment, curiosity, explorations, rewards, errors, biases, etc. that have shaped our lives. No two individuals can really put themselves into the life or time of a different person and grasp it correctly.
This reality will always be outside the realm and boundaries of science.
Certainly it must exist.

Answer
Hello, Charles,

No, most atheists - it is safe to say - don't acknowledge any reality beyond the material or physical. So long as the human imagination adheres to physical or material bases and concepts then no atheist would have a problem The other aspect is that atheists are bound to differ in terms of how deeply they have explored realms such as modern physics.

For example, in my recent book, 'Beyond Atheism, Beyond God' I note the feasibility of a transcendent reality similar to one proposed by David Bohm. He called it the "holomovement". This is based on an explicate or divisible order being enfolded into a higher-dimensional implicate order through which consciousness is enfolded as well. Hence, Bohmís deity at least has some scientific legs, since quantum mechanics has been used to fashion the end product. (Bohm uses a mathematical device he calls the quantum potential )

The relation of explicate (e.g. individual) to implicate is holographic in the sense that each of the individual forms contains the information of the whole holographic field. The Dirac Ether is equivalent to Bohm's Implicate Order and is a pure frequency domain.The remarkable insight is that within this order separate forms (individualities) emerge as purely illusory. By analogy, the separate waves one sees on the ocean surface are illusions - at least in the sense they cannot be removed and placed on the beach for inspection! So also, material forms cannot be abstracted from the energy background of the Dirac Ether.  

Alas, an experiment Bohm proposed to test some of his hypotheses (Gozzini experiment) led to some ambiguous results so is still not accepted by most physicists.

Never mind, there remain some of us -declared atheists - who akcnolwedge there is indeed a reality - call it multidimensional if you will - that lies beyond the bounds and techniques of modern science to access, and likely always will.  We submit this ulterior reality is physical - not supernatural-  but transcendent nonetheless to our limited methods and brains.  

Atheism

Philip A. Stahl