Atheism/Questions Answered by Expert Jeffrey Ellsworth

SubjectDate Asked
atheists morality1/29/2015
  Q: I was wondering how atheists determine if a particular action is moral or immoral? Is incest between ...
  A: Ethics: Atheists generally follow the Golden Rule [1]. A formal argument can be made for any ...
Pre-science and science.1/15/2015
  Q: There is little doubt that there has always been a huge gap between pre-scientific and scientific ...
  A: Hey Charles, Sorry the response took me so long! Busy times! Your questions gets at two issues - ...
Why do young people move away from religion? - Research1/8/2015
  Q: Eldred, My name is Luca Hensel, I am a german exchange student. I am a journalism student at ...
  A: interesting subjects! I'm happy to help with your journalism project, I only hope that my comments ...
Dr Stephen Meyer10/3/2014
  Q: Having completed his book at this stage, while never meeting the man, Dr. Stephen Meyer, whom holds ...
  A: I have a BS in Physics and Math, a MS in Physics and I'm in a program to receive my Physics PhD a ...
What about these statements?9/28/2014
  Q: It has been a long time. What do you think about these statements? Science is a search for certainty ...
  A: “Science is a search for certainty in an unsure world.” I completely disagree. Science is a ...
Animal abuse and Christianity9/13/2014
  Q: its Luis again , I have a question This time regarding animal abuse and Christianity I´ve always ...
  A: Luis. This was a very interesting question, I'm glad you asked it. Animals in Christianity: First ...
Atheists tacit support of polytheism9/7/2014
  Q: What I have analyzed is atheists tacitly support polytheism. For example, I know many atheists who ...
  A: I must say I have not observed this connection between atheism and polytheism that you describe. At ...
Biblical interpretation9/4/2014
  Q: I´m an athesit , and have read some books on the subject and done my homework , But can you ...
  A: Introduction: Hello Luis. First of all, I apologize for the wait. Your question describes a common ...
Dear Jeff-8/31/2014
  Q: I hope that you are doing well. Jeff, reviewing your literature and other resources to the best of ...
  A: Hey Kevin, I sometimes gets distracted by the detail and forget to articulate the big picture! I ...
Dear Jeff-8/13/2014
  Q: As an agnostic and seeker in Christ, despite modern science's decrees- A)What would ever PREVENT ...
  A: Hey Kevin, good questions. I've divided my response into several sections and put links on the ...
Atheism1/30/2014
  Q: What are the best arguments for Atheism? Is there any scientific evidence for Atheism? If Atheism is ...
  A: Hey Branden, For the first and last question, I think I'll just refer you to the several posts of ...
Atheistic views on Life after Death10/31/2013
  Q: my name is Naomi I have a few questions regarding Atheism and the Beliefs of Atheist on the topic ...
  A: Hey Naomi, First of all, I just want to say that if you or an atheist you know is struggling with ...
So where did it go?8/5/2013
  Q: Alright Jeff let's say you are correct Jesus did not rise from the dead. So what happened to his ...
  A: Hey Charles, Sorry I didn't answer earlier - it had nothing to do with the question and everything ...
Proof of Jesus' reurrection8/4/2013
  Q: Here's a good one for you Jeff, Jesus' resurrection it is claimed by the faithful that only an event ...
  A: Hey Charles, First of all, if the disciples hypothetically had their souls saved by Jesus during ...
Can you prove to me that God is not watching us.5/15/2013
  Q: Since you are an atheist can you prove to me that s God is not watching us or is even with us at ...
  A: Intro: Hey Nana, thanks for the questions. You also phrased the question this way: “Is there really ...
What are your best 10 arguments that atheism is the best thing to believe in?4/30/2013
  Q: What are your best 10 arguments that atheism is the best thing to believe in?
  A: Intro: Wow, the ten best arguments for atheist case! I'm having trouble coming up with ten! I ...
Supernatural and surprise3/29/2013
  Q: Sometimes in our exchange you have used the term supernatural for a paranormal experience. Why? If a ...
  A: Introductory Notes: This link is the link for our previous discussion[1]. Hey Charles, I see that ...
The Blind Watch Maker3/19/2013
  Q: Why are there patterns (sometimes mathematical), symmetry, and fractals in nature? Why aren't same ...
  A: I kind of got carried away with my answer here, hopefully you find the extended discussion ...
Biblical Problems1/14/2013
  Q: Could you please provide some examples of events or locations that are mentioned in the Bible but ...
  A: Introduction: Hey Jackie, I certainly can provide some example of clearly false events or locations ...
Logical proofs for God12/28/2012
  Q: As an observant, religiously educated, Jew, my Judaism is a choice, and, like all other ...
  A: Introduction: Hello Isaac, thank you for the question. Your question mostly seems to be about the ...
Atheism10/31/2012
  Q: I am quite aware of probing questions that atheists can ask of believers, and to the best of my ...
  A: I'm no history expert, but I think I've managed to address you philosophical concerns while the ...
re: World Christian/Religions Database (WCD).9/12/2012
  Q: Eldred, I left something out of my previous message to you. Please disregard the last inquiry and ...
  A: Note: Sorry I accidentally answered the other question instead of posting my response here. I've ...
research relating to global atheism shrinking8/28/2012
  Q: Eldridge, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my inquiries. I did some additional ...
  A: I'm not sure I understand your question, let me clarify what I've found out about the sources. The ...
re: European soveign debt crises/ U.S federal debt/global economy and socialism and atheism8/10/2012
  Q: You wrote here http://www.allexperts.com/user.cgi?m=6&catID=2724&expID=111189&qID=4971622 about the ...
  A: This is a follow-up to this[1] and this[2] AllExperts Atheism post. Overview: I have to first ...
re: Atheist websites and web traffic8/10/2012
  Q: Eldred, You wrote about this article: ...
  A: I am sorry for the delay. This response is a continuation of the discussion begun here[1] and ...
to: Mr. Eldred, re: Atheist population8/5/2012
  Q: Eldred, On 6/13/12 you responded to inquiry about the number of atheists in the world in relation ...
  A: Introduction: Don't worry about pen names, I don't need to know your real name to answer your ...
dreams and visions6/27/2012
  Q: I am curious,the rapture people, they kinda of bother me with their suppsoed dreams and visons why ...
  A: Introduction: Hello again Tony, While not knowing the people from the link personally, I can only ...
number of athiests6/13/2012
  Q: this christian website claims that atheism is dying and all ...
  A: Hey Tony, I really like this question. I wrote a lot so I broke the answer up into four sections: a ...
Speaking in Tongues5/3/2012
  Q: I am wondering about the pentecostal Christians whom always claim to hear Gods voice, and see Jesus ...
  A: Hey Tony, I say someone "hearing Gods voice" or "seeing Jesus and demons" is likely from someone ...
God, goodness, perished nations1/21/2012
  Q: as an atheist i'd like to discuss a thing in Abrahamic religions. The Bible and the Quran tell us ...
  A: this is a reductio ad absurdum argument[1] that I often think in debates about God. Because this ...
Here is Wisdom - God is Logic1/11/2012
  Q: As i see from your previous topics that you are well versed in the both arguments of God. ...
  A: You've got a lot to talk about so I've tried to condense my main thoughts and reactions into a ...
the greatest of them all.12/1/2011
  Q: i believe at the end of time, when judgement day comes, which tests all that should be tested, who ...
  A: Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I have been having technical problems with my email. ...
Silence9/17/2011
  Q: Ave Maria! People who go deep into silence say that they can hear something that could be described ...
  A: Introduction: You present two concepts here: God as a divine silence and God as a the Word (1 John ...
Atheist - Personality Traits ?9/7/2011
  Q: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism I want to Know the Human Behavior Characteristics and ...
  A: Introduction: Very good question. Some of the generalizations that have said about atheists are ...
Hell: fair punishement?8/16/2011
  Q: Some religions consider that wrongdoers deserve an infinite punishement after their death, because ...
  A: You bring up an important objection to the argument - God is only as harmed or humiliated as he ...
antony flew8/15/2011
  Q: i would like to know your view about antony flew and about his believe in a higher intelligent ...
  A: There seems to be an implicit argument from authority that evangelical Christians and deists like to ...
Questions of Meaning, Purpose and Destiny8/9/2011
  Q: On the topic of ultimate questions of origins and identity based on religion, science, philosophy ...
  A: A big question gets a big answer! Although I cannot claim to have the ultimate, uniquely, correct ...
evolution vs adaptation6/30/2011
  Q: Scenario 1: Recent studies in various cities have discovered that songbirds are changing the way ...
  A: Definitions: Part of your confusion might be resulting from the fact that there are actually two ...
strange theodicy3/22/2011
  Q: after the horrible disaster that happenned in Japan, i remember an old debate with a theist about ...
  A: The Ownership Theodicy: Arguments that argue that the existence of evil is incompatible with God are ...
Do Atheists Exist?3/2/2011
  Q: I have had the honor of discussing the existence of God with many, many, many people in the past few ...
  A: Most of your question is explained in my answer to a previous question[1] and I recommend first ...
Theodicy from endurance2/16/2011
  Q: It's known that getting through WHATEVER hardship we have (even the hardest) by staying mentally ...
  A: For the benefit of anyone else reading this page I'm going to go ahead and keep linking things that ...
Scientific epistemology2/4/2011
  Q: What we call as science is essentially stuff that can be independently verified and repeatable ...
  A: Problem of Induction: What repeatability really depends on inductive reasoning: Something that has ...
What is the perfect religion to join where it's alot of Singing and less praying?11/29/2010
  Q: What is the perfect religion to join where it's alot of Singing and less praying? I'm at a loss of ...
  A: I would recommend looking up your local Unitarian Universalist (UU) Church[1]. I have know many open ...
Predestination VS free will11/1/2010
  Q: Let's imagine I decide to go in the future, in year 2035 more precisely. and I write down in a book ...
  A: Introduction: I'm not quite sure why this is an atheism question and not a philosophy question but I ...
Christianity Questioned9/22/2010
  Q: I am Zachary Carter, a student at Peachgrove Intermediate, New Zealand. I am doing a school project ...
  A: I won't be able to Skype for a variety of reasons. I hope that my answer here is comprehensive and ...
evidence in nature9/10/2010
  Q: I believe that as a hypothesis, a designer can not be ruled out. My view of God is akin to the ...
  A: "1. Life on Earth. Our planet is at the perfect distance from the sun to support life on our planet. ...
science and civilisation, and their impacts on religion9/8/2010
  Q: Will the development of science eventually leave no room for faith and the belief in the unproven? ...
  A: My answer to all of these questions is "yes and no" - I hope that talking about what I think can be ...
atheism9/2/2010
  Q: Do atheists in general like buddhism since it is a religion that often speaks about atheistic views ...
  A: Generally yes. But it depends on the Buddhism. To see what I mean, compare the following three ...
"Soul"-making theodicy8/28/2010
  Q: I heard about a theodicy stating that "evil (here i only consider natural evil -distaters, ...
  A: I can't remember if I've linked this one yet, but I do an overview of the Problem of Evil here[1] ...
Kalam argument8/14/2010
  Q: The theist philosopher William Lane Craig make up the famous Kalam Argument: (1) Anything that ...
  A: (EDIT: more strange science on time here: http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jun/in-no-time/ ) Here ...
Monotheism VS polytheism8/7/2010
  Q: First, thank you for your last answer. This time, let's SUPPOSE that it's certain the Universe is ...
  A: Applying Ockham's Razor: Ockham's Razor is best for eliminating the number of rules and assumptions ...
Paradox of Design Argument?8/4/2010
  Q: we often weaken "God" explanation for the apparent design of this Universe by stating that He has to ...
  A: It seems to me that Platinga and Swineburne argument from this redefined complexity is nothing more ...
dream7/17/2010
  Q: "Hi, I am an atheist and I have no faith in any supernatural and non-materialistic forces or ...
  A: Introduction: I believe that I can answer this question just by introducing you to general tools of ...
Thinking about God5/27/2010
  Q: What I know of "Atheism" is denial in the existence of God. As a beginner in Philosophy, I get ...
  A: Intro: First off, I do not take any offense to this question. This is a surprisingly common question ...
Greek definition of atheism3/16/2010
  Q: The first mention of Atheism, is by the Greeks in the term atheos, which is in reference to Greek ...
  A: I have to say that I do not have the training in philosophy to fully appreciate your references to ...
Atheism3/9/2010
  Q: Do atheists Beleive in Satan?
  A: This is an easyNo. Atheists do not believe in Satan. As far as we are concerned worshiping Satan is ...
inimitability of the Quran2/25/2010
  Q: The Quran itself claims to be absolutely inimitable (and unsurpassable) in arabic language. muslim ...
  A: The answer to your question is: -I don't think extraordinary works imply supernatural influence -I ...
Response to Testimony12/21/2009
  Q: Without delving too deeply (for now) into the specifics of some of my objections to your atheistic ...
  A: Alright, so you are looking for a response to your description of the testimony (passion, prestige, ...
nature of atheism12/17/2009
  Q: What does the atheist claim? I understand this will vary from one individual to another. But in ...
  A: Well David you may happy to know that atheists take the reasonable position that you describe: "It ...
Best of the best for you.12/10/2009
  Q: What is your best argument, or point, for there not being a Creator?
  A: Only One! I guess I will have to go with the Problem of Evil. Introduction: This is so hard ...
Afraid to own up10/21/2009
  Q: I have moved from the UK to Barbados, I am married to a bajan man and although he is a believer in ...
  A: Freedom: This is about human freedom, plain and simple. You lose time, energy, money, and influence ...
living things and non living things10/3/2009
  Q: Sir, Why there are two kind of things in this world -living things and non-living things. When ...
  A: (Links are denoted by [x] in the text and are a reference to the URLs at the bottom of the page). ...
Why is their anything at all?9/18/2009
  Q: I am not religious at all. I am not an athiest but I am just curious why is their something rather ...
  A: Note: ([x] is a reference to the links listed at the bottom) EDIT: Lawrence Krauss gave a very good ...
Religion8/29/2009
  Q: 1. Can you tell the lists of all religions out there? 2. How do emails all experts at once? 3. How ...
  A: 1. No. I cannot list all religions of the world- no one can. The estimated number of religions ...
Solar eclipse7/18/2009
  Q: In some religions watrching sun during solar eclispse is considered a sin. To accentuate their claim ...
  A: OVERVIEW: There is a real danger from goes blind from staring at a partial eclipse, but it tends to ...
intuition and predictions7/9/2009
  Q: Does science believe in intuition and predictions. Can a person foresee or predict ones ...
  A: Note: Numbers in square brackets refer to links at the bottom of the page. OVERVIEW: There is a ...
Atheism and Evolution7/3/2009
  Q: Do you know of any atheists or atheist organizations that are against the theory of evolution and/or ...
  A: The answer depends on what you mean by the term "atheist", but by conventional usage, the answer is ...

All Questions in This Category

Atheism

Jeffrey Ellsworth

Top Expert on this page