Atlanta/VISIT ATL

Question
We want to visit Atlanta. We currently live in Wisconsin.
I have been told by several people that its a boring town in comparison to other major cities. MLK this MLK that. A politically correct Metropolis. No real personality. Has the civil war history really been buried down there?

How could this be? We are coming down in Mid May.

Answer
Good planning should make your visit a bountiful one.   Granted, Atlanta has sprawled far too much and there is crime, especially to the south.

Consider bicycling the eastside Atlanta Beltline during daylight and you'll see the many sides of Atlanta (including Piedmont Park), making short trips off it.   Take a bus tour or bicycle tour your first day to really learn the city.   Consider Atlanta History Museum.   Also read the free alternative weekly Creative Loafing, available many places -- ask anyone in a commmercial area where a stand is nearby.  Attend a community farmers market at Grant Park or Piedmont Park.  For upscale bar districts, consider downtown Decatur and Virginia-Highland area, generally safe at night, too.

Areas to the north (especially those outside 285) are safest at night, generally speaking.

You can save money by taking MARTA rail everywhere (including airport).  

That is all I have to write.

Regards

Atlanta

Bill