Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)/Scared to death to work again...

I have ADD. When I was 18, I worked at Walmart for three months and it was the worst three months of my life!! My coworkers treated me horrible! I couldn't go as fast as everyone else and I wasn't catching on as fast. Now, it is four years later and I hate having to depend on my parents or my refund checks from school, for money. I don't know what to do. I'm scarred from Walmart. No one understands this disability and no one believes me when I say I have it. I just applied at Kohls and had an interview yesterday. They told me I was hired and everything but I'm waiting for the offer papers to be signed before I accept the offer. I'm just so scared. I don't n ow what to do. Do you think I should just go through with it? I can't work more than 4-5 hours. I have so much anxiety over this. I feel like I'm going to be missing out on everything if I work too... Like parties, graduations, special events, etc. Thats what happened when I worked at Walmart. Please give me some advice :(

The first thing you have to have is CONFIDENCE! Even if it's just in baby steps-you have to believe in yourself.  Nest you need to see a doctor.  Before you go, write down the things you have trouble doing in everyday life and your past experiences.  When you see the Dr. also mention your anxiety, that can often accompany ADD. If indeed the Dr. finds that you have ADD talk with he/she about ways to cope with it.  Medication is only one way, therapy is also used. Get yourself into a routine, map out your day ahead of time. The more you can anticipate your life the easier it is.  I hope this helps you some. Feel free to ask any other questions.

Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

I was diagnosed (finally) with the age of 38. I always knew there was something not connecting in my brain, but little was known about ADD and ADHD when I was growing up. I know how hard it is to explain to others about your "brain patterns", idiosyncrasies and why you do and don't do what you do. I know how hard it is to keep things in order and to find those "IMPORTANT" papers you know you just had in your hands and now they are missing--right into thin air. I've been there and am still sometimes there!

I studied, attended seminars with the experts, worked with psychologists and doctors to become the "go to person" in our school district.I worked with teachers and parents to help them understand mind patterning,the options of medication or no medication and behavioral patterning.
I also have worked with adults with restructuring their lives to assist in the development of routine and organization (I must admit that I am a lot better with others than myself!!)
I am "pro" medication in most cases. For adults there are a variety of meds that can be used and combinations that work well.

"Cooperative Learning" (johnson and Johnson Method) in Exceptional Children in early 80's.
Did research on "Hooked-On-Phonics" before "they" had done any themselves!

Did research on "hooked-On-Phonics" before "they" had any themselves!

I have a Bachelors in Speech Path and Audiology
A Masters in Educational Psychology and Counseling.
I taught for 27 years-regular ed., spec. ed., administration, teaching consultant and advocate for children and adults with ADD.

I am still optimistic that one day I WILL BE TOTALLY ORGANIZED!!