Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)/Holding back a grade

Hello, my son is 6, starting grade 1 in a week.  He has ADHD, separation anxiety, verbal articulation delay and soiling.  We were hoping he'd mature over the summer, but the lack of routine actually made his problems worse.  Our pediatrician gave him Vyvanse last year but we haven't been able to give it to him regularly, also his school Behavioural Modification Plan had worked quiet well.  He has 2 older siblings with similar diagnosises, also myself with ADD, Bipolar, Borderline Personality Disorder, Sleep Disorder, Eating Disorder, Major Depression, Obesity.  My lack of parenting skills and low energy combined with dealing with 3 children with emotional and Behavioural problems 24/7 has greatly impacted our family life.  Now I'm worried that my son will stand out like a sore thumb in class and kids will freeze him out, just like in JK when he caused lots of class disturbance, example: class needed to be evacuated until he calmed down, also he is very loud.  He doesn't nave any friends (none of us has) and we don't really socialize so he doesn't even have a chance to practice how to be normal.  My question is:  would holding him back in SK help him or make him feel worse about himself?  I just want him to be happy and have a healthy self-esteem.

It sounds like you have your hands full. I'm normally opposed to holding kids back a year, but there are notable exceptions. Based on what you have shared, it is very possible this could be the best course of action for him. You don't say if he has qualified for special education. If so, his IEP Team should address this issue with your inputs. If he has not qualified, you need to request in writing that he be assessed. Normally, a medical diagnosis of ADD/ADHD should qualify him in the category of OHI (Other Health Impaired). You should talk to the principal about all this. Holding him back will require that he be in a pre-kindergarten, preferably one intended for special needs kids where he will get more attention in a small class and help.  

Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)

Tim Runner

Being an Education Advocate, I am able to answer questions related to educating students diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. I represent numerous students with these challenges. Too often schools do not properly serve the needs of these students and I sometimes have to fight to get my clients the special education services they require. Sometimes the schools push for medication rather than looking at the needs of the student. For some of my clients, medications have worked wonders, but for others medication is not the answer. Many times schools want to give parents a 504 Plan rather than qualifying the child for special education. Some of my clients have been well served by 504 Plans, but being qualified for special education services has many advantages. I have answered over a thousand AllExperts' questions in the categories of Special Education, Autism, and Speech.

I have represented hundreds of students and their parents over the past 7 years as an Education Advocate. I have been successful in getting my clients the services they need from their schools. Often I find myself educating parents about their legal options for their children. Once we agree on a plan of action, I implement it to the benefit of the student.

I have a degree in Mathematics with minors in psychology and physics from the University of California.

Having answered over one thousand questions, I have received very high ratings from the parents I have helped through in the categories of Special Education, Autism, and Speech.