How to Attract the Man of Your Dreams/I feel so used...

My boyfriend of 8 years, met a woman and within 3 months they were married.  He told me he was going to tell me after the fact.  We own a business together (a restaurant) He is the chef and I work in front.  He brought this woman, who incidentally needed a green card, to work as a waitress.  She befriended me, I helped train her.  I feel like my whole world has been turned upside down.  Our business is suffering because he doesn't work anymore, he just does the minimum.  I feel so confused and abandoned.  She is 37 and I am 48.  I have to see this man and I've decided to forgive and try to move on.  I have suffered the ultimate betrayal and I need advice on how to fix myself, how to care for my fragile frame of mind.  How do I trust again?  How to restart at this age.  I gave this man 8 years of my life.  I can't sleep or eat very much.  My heart aches terribly.

Hello Alice!

I'm sorry to hear you're going through all of this. Let's see if I can help:

You're asking me about how to trust someone else again, but the very question itself is the problem. You're asking it as though someone else is in control of your ability to trust. That's just not the case. You're ability (and frankly, willingness) to trust someone is based entirely on you.

Consider this: let's say that you had to go out of town and took a plane. Before hand, you asked your ex if he'd be willing to pick you up at the airport when you came back and he said, "yes".

Question: would you "trust" him to pick you up?

What if you get to the restaurant one day and realize that you're out of rolls. So, you call him (as he's on his way in) and ask him to pick some up. He says, "yes".

Do you "trust" him to bring in the rolls?

Of course you do - to both questions. Why? Simple: because if he doesn't show up at the airport you could easily call someone else or get a cab. If he doesn't bring in the rolls you can go get them yourself, etc.

My point here is that you feel betrayed but that's not the same thing as trusting someone. You don't have to stop feeling betrayed to trust anyone as long as you trust YOURSELF to do what you have to do and to make good decisions about things. You want to put a lot of your own best interests into someone else's hands when in fact you need to keep them for yourself.

Over an 8-year period you're going to give away a lot more than you would with someone you just started dating. However, if you focus on your own strength and being present while being open to possibilities you're not really going to have any problems trusting anyone. You'll be able to invest those 8 years of experience into something even better.

Your life (and love) are about what's going to happen - not what you're leaving behind.

Best regards...

Dr. Dennis W. Neder
CEO/Executive Producer
BAM! Productions
Remington Publications
Producers: "BAM! TV" and “Love and Sex”
Publishers: "Being a Man in a Woman's World I, II & III”

How to Attract the Man of Your Dreams

Dr. Dennis W. Neder

Literally, any question related to finding and meeting the man of your dreams. I am the top-rated expert in "General Dating Questions", "How to Attract the Man/Woman of your Dreams" and "Places to Meet People". In fact, over the past few years, I've answered over 32,000 letters from readers, have written over 700 articles, written numerous books, recorded CD's and DVD's, done hundreds of radio and tv shows and have millions of readers all over the world. If your question is particularly sensitive you can also write to me privately and securely at:

I've written many books on every aspect of dating, sex and relationships. My new book, "How Women Can Approach Men" is already quickly becoming one of our best-sellers! Women have many tools at their disposal and shouldn't have to wait for "Mr. Right" to come along! After reading some of the advice the women in this section are getting from other women, I think it's a good idea to offer a man's perspective.

Numerous boards and commissions, civic organizations, etc.

Thousands of websites, magazines, radio and TV.

Doctor of Philosophy