How to Attract the Woman of Your Dreams/How to Attract Her?

Question
Dear Lauren,

I am a 23 year old male in graduate school for biology. I recently became very attracted to one of my classmates who is in all my classes (as we are in the same program). Her name is Laura and she is extremely intelligent - she is scoring at the top of our classes and she works extremely hard to do well.

To note: I do tend to have self-deprecating humor a lot and I don't know if that actually works against me by making people think I am unworthy or something. I just do it as a joke, but I have been thinking now that it actually can damage my appearance to others. I am not sure.

She has been very friendly with me, she smiles to me (but I notice she smiles a lot to everyone). Occasionally she will approach me to talk. One night I was with her and a couple other classmates and we found a piano in the university center - she played some piano and sang. She is extremely talented and I complimented her. I casually requested that she teach me to play some time and that I could pay her. She said she doesn't need money and would love to teach me any time. She then later reminded me that she would love to teach me any time.

We also spent some time working on a presentation together, during which time I learned that she is a devout Christian. I am a non-Christian but admire and respect her faith. I told her I want to learn more about it. She loves philosophy, as do I.

I don't know if she would ever be interested in me, or if she's even taken already, or if she is just too focused on her studies to be interested in a relationship at all. I just really admire her and don't want to let her slip away if I have a chance at this at all. Some other things that might help you for context:

I am good-looking (this is not to put myself on a pedestal, just to let you know I'm not hideous!)
I am pretty funny and make a lot of jokes; everyone in our program likes my jokes and she laughs at them too.
One day another girl was talking about me to her, and I pretended I couldn't hear. The other girl, I believe, was talking about the way I talk (I think she was saying something positive), and Laura just remained quiet and didn't say anything at all in reply.

Answer
Hmm... Let's get started. First off Laura seems like an amazing catch. She's smart, beautiful and I'm assuming she's has a great personality. Now about your self-deprecating humor, you have to know when to joke and but never make someone feel that you're unworthy of anything. You need to work on you humor so that it will express confidence. I'm not saying totally get rid of that type of humor because that's kind of who you are, but try to enhance it a little. Now as far as her smiling at you, well that's not really something that expresses attraction because some people just smile all the time hence you said that she smiles at everyone. A good way to see if she's interested is to smile and stare at her and see how she reacts to that. See if she should looks at you back and smiles or if she can't keep eye-contact with you. All that speaks attraction. Speaking of staring does this girl know that you're interested in her. Have you indicated whether directly or indirectly that you may be interested in her. You have to let yourself be known Bilal. It sounds like you're hesitating a little. Now her teaching you how to play the piano is a great start. In those sessions I would quiz her to see if she's in a relationship and what type of guy she likes. So Bilal, you have to start engaging this woman now instead of passively watching. I would stick with your jokes when you talk to her personal basis, but also show a more serious side. Women love humor, but they also want a guys who can be serious and confident at the same time.  Why don't you plan to ask her on a date sometime this week or next weekend? Just go to her and say that I think you're beautiful and was wondering if you wanted to go on a date with me. Now this is the more direct approach, Earlier I mentioned getting to know her more in the piano sessions. You can do either one but I would choose the latter. But nevertheless your problem is that you're intimidated by this woman, therefore you need to work up the courage to be more engaging ( letting her know that you're interested) and direct( Actually asking her out)

PS. I think she likes you, so it should make this process that much easier.

How to Attract the Woman of Your Dreams

Markeyus Franks