Audio Systems/1993 Chevy k1500 aftermarket installation

I have installed an aftermarket radio in my truck. It lights up and the cd will work as the radio will tune to a station but has no sound at all. I have removed the radio above the gas petal only to find out that its also the factory amp. Do I have to reinstall it I removed it because I could only find a wiring harness that fit the factory plug going into the amp/head and not the plug that goes from the amp to the radio head and cassette which by the way is a seperate piece

The url below outlines the wiring diagram for your vehicle.

But, and however, if there was a speaker amp in the vehicle it is likely the remote turn on wire was not connected between the new head unit and this amp.  I suggest you reinstall it and connect the 'turn on' wire.

Take a look at this url which has an expanded listing of the wiring colors including the 'yellow' turning on wire.

Hope this helps you get it going.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers