Audio Systems/merecedes audio

1991 sl500, music keeps cracking and fading

That could be a multiple of things, loose wiring, bad Speaker, bad head unit and so on.

Fist identify which speaker is causing the problem by using the fade and balance to pan the music to front left, front right, rear right, and rear left.

If all speakers do the same thing your problem is most likely the main head unit in the dash. Check the connections to make sure they are seated properly and there are no exposed copper wires.

If it is isolated to just one or two speakers your problem is most likely on the speaker end. Check the connections to each speaker and that the speaker is physically intact, not ripped loose or physically disconnected from the from the round base,or damaged. Be care not to damage it if it isn't damaged speakers can be fragile if forced.

If you are not comfortable with doing the troubleshooting your self I recommend bringing it to a service center.  

Audio Systems

I am the owner and operator of an YouTube channel SpotOnElectronics that specifies in electronics.I am a CTS certified Audio Visual technician I have been in the A/V field for about 6 years now. I build and troubleshoot high end video and audio equipment in a corporate and home setting. I have experience in Video telecommunication, a deep understanding of audio, presentation/home theater systems and control systems. I studied and graduated from a technical college and majored in electronics. My knowledge of electronics is just as deep as that of the A/V field

I am a CTS ( certified technician and have been in the industry for about 6 years. I graduated from New England Technical Institute in 2003.

Graduated from New England Technical Institute in 2003 CTS 2007 extron, crestron, biamp,clearone training and certifications