Audio Systems/new dvd player picture quality

Hi Cleggsan,

My old dvd player recently stopped working and I bought a Sony 1080p Upscaling DVD Player - DVP-SR510H. I am using it with an analog tv set. The player works fine but I've noticed the picture seems to appear a little compressed -actor heads/bodies might seem a little thinner, although I am not sure if this is my imagination or not. I don't use an HDMI cable since I don't have a HDTV set. Is there anything I can do to correct this or is it normal, or should I simply purchase a regular Sony dvd player instead? Also, will Blueray players give me any difference in quality for normal dvds? Thanks.

Blueray players give better picture - for sure - when playing Blueray discs.  But, on analog tv sets you would not be able to see the improved picture because typical analog tv is only 420 resolution.

You may have an aspect ratio problem.  Analog tv sets normally do not have aspect ratio settings so it would be the dvd player where adjustments should be made.

Check your owners manual on the DVP-SR510H for aspect ratio settings.

All the best.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers