Audio Systems/new dvd player picture quality

Question
Hi Cleggsan,

My old dvd player recently stopped working and I bought a Sony 1080p Upscaling DVD Player - DVP-SR510H. I am using it with an analog tv set. The player works fine but I've noticed the picture seems to appear a little compressed -actor heads/bodies might seem a little thinner, although I am not sure if this is my imagination or not. I don't use an HDMI cable since I don't have a HDTV set. Is there anything I can do to correct this or is it normal, or should I simply purchase a regular Sony dvd player instead? Also, will Blueray players give me any difference in quality for normal dvds? Thanks.

Answer
Blueray players give better picture - for sure - when playing Blueray discs.  But, on analog tv sets you would not be able to see the improved picture because typical analog tv is only 420 resolution.

You may have an aspect ratio problem.  Analog tv sets normally do not have aspect ratio settings so it would be the dvd player where adjustments should be made.

Check your owners manual on the DVP-SR510H for aspect ratio settings.

All the best.  

Audio Systems

Cleggsan