Audio Systems/Just speakers or...?

I've been buying CD's for over 20 years. I once had a CD player but lost it in a move about 10 years ago so I've just been listening to them in my car. I now have a laptop computer and an i-phone. So I've downloaded all my CD's to the computer.

Now, if I want to listen to my music would it make more sense to just get a good pair of speakers to attach to my computer OR buy some sort of player that either plays CD's or that I could plug my i-phone into?

I've checked out Bose equipment because supposedly it's the best but it's quite expensive. Although their cheapest speakers are $99. Or a Bose sound dock for $200. My mother had a nice Bose CD player/radio that had a great sound but when she died my sister got it. Whatever. In your opinion is Bose really the best or are some cheaper brands just as good.

I don't want to spent a whole lot of money just for the name. Does the quality of the sound that I would get depend on the computer I have or is it all the speakers?

I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

David Ritchey

It is very much your personal choice.  There is no 'right' answer.  Listening to recorded music is very subjective and very personal.  The only person you need to satisfy is you.  

I only have one comment about your suggested solution:  Bose is not an accurate reproducer of music and nearly all Bose equipment is over rated and over priced.  That is my personal opinion based on my own analysis and testing from previous years.

Yes, sound quality is a function of many factors;  original recording and source coding method, amplifier systems used and loudspeaker.  As a general rule, the compressed audio sources such as MP3 will not sound as good as a full CD.  The computer electronics are sometimes, depending on the manufacturer, not good sound quality.  

For best sound of CDs you should at least have a good cd player, stereophonic amplification system and two good speaker systems.  You must be prepared to pay more for the speakers than for the electronics as the speaker technology is nearly always the weakest link so far as true fidelity is concerned.  

Hope this helps.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers