Audio Systems/Home Stereo

I am building a house and I'm having sound put in two other rooms. This is being done by a company that puts sound in other rooms of your home. With this I will get two speakers in the ceiling in each room, a volume control in each room, and a termination plate by my stereo receiver. I will have a stereo receiver in my front room, with two speakers, one on each side of my receiver. My question is, I will end up having six speakers in all, how many channels do I need on my receiver? I was thinking one channel equals two speakers, is that right?

Yes, a stereo channel is normally two speakers; one for each channel, left and right.  For home theatre it is usually 5 speakers plus a subwoofer for 5.1 sound systems.  

If your receiver is a surround sound, home theatre type you will need to rethink the system design.

But, if you are using a stereo receiver then you are headed the right direction.  I suggest that you might want the installer to have separate power amps for each room. That way they are independent amplification and the receiver is not overloaded when more than one room is being powered.  Amplifiers are usually no more expensive than the cost of volume controls and multi-room wiring.

If you do some googling around you can find many web pages that deal with home design and installations.  Here is an example:

Hope this helps get you going.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers