Audio Systems/home cd player with speakers

My elderly neighbor had a Panasonic with matching speakers that was truly ugly (old style).  She gave it away and now needs a CD player (no headphone outlet necessary, she won't use one) with a decent sound that isn't huge and isn't overly expensive.  I have no idea what to buy.  Can you advise me?

Hi Jill.
She has no stereo system at all, now?
If so, she will need more than a 'cd player' to get sound.

Unless they are wanting a lot of stereo separation and added complexity; Perhaps a boombox would do?   Here is a decent one for 130.00:

It offers CD, radio, portability, is durable and fits the budget-wise very nicely.

If you want a true home system I can do that, too (just let me know a 'ball park' budget range) in a follow up question.
I request this because a basic component can get pretty spendy when you are talking a speaker/amplifier system to go with the CD player (which will need a preamplifier or receiver).  For example: Some people refer to a pair of 800.00 speakers as 'normal' while others think 200 is too much to pay for any pair...ect.

You may want to take a look around a site like to get an idea of what is out there. They have a toll free number if you would rather speak to them in person.

Audio Systems

Jerry Mael

My forte is audio.. Car/Home/Boat. You name it, I will help you even if it is just a link to more assistance. If you want to interface new gear to your factory radio I can do us both a favor and tell you to go to or call them at 1.800.555.7088. They really are top notch at doing that for people with great support. I will re-direct most questions of that nature to them. The rest of it... I am eager to help you with. I am also not a 'Master Installation Technician' that will tell you I cannot assist you with cars not made in the USA. Talk to me about any audio upgrades including 'bang for the buck'.
Specialties include: Overall Acoustics, Gain structure/settings and Enclosure design, system design/consultation, when/where to get which upgrades as well as other pertinent info for the mobile audio enthusiast and much more.
I also am NOT interested in buying your used gear so do not waste our time asking me.

My specialty as it is offered here, is Mobile and Home Audio Consultation.
Eight years IASCA - Pro 251-500 watt class
With Allexperts since 1999 (on and off).
35 years of overall professional sound and acoustical/electronic experience (since 1977) including: Sound Offs, Home audio, Mobile audio, Live sound, Churches, Theater, Live DJ and Studio Recording (analog and digital software and hardware), Effects, Looping, analog/digital mutli-track and mixdown . My mother was a record producer so I picked up a lot of additional professional knowledge and experience through the years. I was a Drum Tech for the Banshee reunion tour and toured as sound man with a regional act called Champion so I have practical knowledge for many aspects of audio.

If I cannot directly answer your question I will use my vast resource network to help you get a usable answer.

Favorite Mobile components:
Any amplifier based on ZED principles. Examples are Diamond, Zapco, Hifonics, Autotek, ect. And of course, Nakamichi (yes, still in business)
McCaulley, Polk and Dynaudio Speakers.
Clarion/Nakamichi headunits and processors.

>35 years of real world, audio experience.