Audio Systems/installing a Bose CK 188

Hi Cleggsan,
I have a Bose CK 188 and CE 108 cd player that was just removed from a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder (original factory installation ) in perfect working condition.  I would like to install it in a 2003 Chevy Avalanche.  The technician that installed the new radio in my sons car (the pathfinder) said it is part of a total system and won't work in another car without major modifications. Is that correct?  If it will work in the Chevy, I will need to obtain proper connectors for the unit as he did not get the Bose ones back.  Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

My opinion is the Bose system will not work in a non-Bose compliant vehicle. The reason is that Bose has their own standard for interface between head and amplifier speaker combinations. It would take alot of engineering modifications to make them work.  It would, for example, require all the speakers and associated wiring to be completely gutted out of the Avalanche and all new installations.... plus more.

I don't recommend it.

Sorry for the bad news.

PS:  Just my opinion:  Bose sound is not all that good. They do not follow conventional technology and the sound is not a high fidelity accomplishment.  Some people like them but audio experts usually do not, sorry to say.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers