Audio Systems/Marine Audio System

AquaTronics Marine Audio System MS 1550G (TMG)

My 2006 SunTracker Pontoon Boat has the manufacturer's AquaTronics Marine Audio System.  The unit works fine except for the CD player, which recently started acting up.  It plays fine for a while and then starts skipping or stopping and also will not allow changing from CD to CD.  Tried everything, including a high quality Alsop CD lens cleaner, but still acts up.  Unit seems to get very hot, but that may be normal and it has plenty of air space underneath the console.  What to do?  Thanks

Sorry, I don't know much about AquaTronics Marine Audio Systems nor who makes them.  I think, and I may be wrong, they are kits composed of components supplied by other manufacturers.

My comment about the CD player, however, is this: CD mechanisms do not last long in harsh environments such as automotive, outdoors and marine applications due to excessive vibration, heat and humidity.  Even in the best conditions the laser diode which reads the digital information on the disc tend to weaken over time.  Some last longer than others. As the diode goes weaker the more dropouts and pops and clicks will be heard. Eventually it gets so bad it just doesn't play anymore.  Unfortunately, replacing the laser diode and optical pickup assembly in most cd players is more costly than the purchase of a new cd player.  In today's consumer type products we refer to the cd player as a "throw away" product, meaning it is cheaper to throw it away and replace it due to the low cost of a new player and the high cost to repair an old one!  

The heat produced by your cd player is probably normal as their is a big Integrated Circuit inside a typical cd player that dissipates quite alot of heat.  

Perhaps there is some way you can remove the present cd player and replace it with a newer model. You might try who has a large inventory of cd players for car, truck, marine and general purpose applications.

Good luck.  Hope this helps.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers