Audio Systems/matching speakers to audio component system

Question
Fischer MC4010
Fischer MC4010  
Fischer MC4010
Fischer MC4010  
QUESTION: I have a vintage Fischer MC 4010 audio component system (1979?) hooked up to a Technics FG Servo automatic turntable system SL-BD22 turn table (also from an earlier year but inherited brand new out of the box).  I need to get speakers so I can play my old records.  I have enclosed pictures of the back of the MC 4010.  The red and white cables go from the MC 4010 to the turntable.  There are 4 slots for the speakers (right/left for speaker A and Right/left for speaker B)  I think it takes RCA connections coming out of the MC4010 because those red/white cables mentioned above will fit on the speaker slots.  I cannot find RCA inputs on today's speakers.  So I guess I need cables with RCA on one end and some more current connection for the speaker end?  If I'm reading the label correctly on MC4010 (no manual) the impedence is 8 ohms but I can't find the RMS.  I've read that these are 2 important numbers needed when trying to make the best match between speakers and receivers.  Maybe something in the photos will give you the needed information?  Oh, by the way...I'm in an apartment so can't play too loud so just something basic will do.  Photos from this laptop are reversed so need a mirror to read writing or get into a dyslexic mode.  So, I tried cell phone photo but realized can't email it.  Here's the info from the label: 120VAC  50/60 Hz  70W MAX  and it says 80 ohms near speaker inputs.

ANSWER: Wow.  Old.  Very early Fisher - before they were bought out by Sanyo.  However, you might try the Sanyo web pages and see if they are carrying any of the old documentation on it.

It is a very early receiver containing an 8-track player if you remember those.  (The 8 track was very popular in automobiles in the late 1970s and early 1980s. )

And, yes, even today some low end products use the rca jacks to feed the speakers.  If you go to a thrift store you often find speakers that are connected in the back via the rca plug ins.

I could not find the specs on this unit but I would guess the power rating to feed the speakers at 8 ohms is around 5 to 8 watts which is about what those early products were getting.

Wiring to the speakers is easy.  Yes, you can use rca cables with male plugs on each end; just cut off the connector and strip the wires back so you can connect to screw type terminals which are almost universally used on speaker boxes today.  And, most shops that carry electronic supplies - such as Radio Shack - have cables with the stripped ends for speaker use.  The speaker cables do not need to be shielded; twisted pair is  just fine.

Hoping this solves your problem.

QUESTION: So when I buy speakers, I want them to be 8 ohms, correct?   but what wattage?

Answer
Yes, 8 ohms would be safe.  Maybe the receiver is actually 4 ohm rating but you don't know so using a higher impedance than the rating is always ok.

Wattage ratings on speaker systems are only for general guidance. Most important after proper impedance is sensitivity.  Sensitivity indicates the efficiency of the speaker to convert the electrical power from the amp into sound level.  A sensitivity of 89 to 91db is usual; however, often speaker makers don't bother to give that specification!

Good Luck.  

Audio Systems

Cleggsan