Audio Systems/Mic Stands

QUESTION: I recently bought a shock mount for my blue bird microphone. Now I need to get a stand but I'm not sure what kind of stand is for me. All the mic stands on ebay seem like they are for concert shows and stages. I need one to hold my heavy mic and shock mount so I can record. Here's the link to the shock mount;

ANSWER: Mic stands are really your choice for location, application, type of recordings your are doing, band or performers choices and requirements, etc.  You are going to have to make that choice. Often two or three stands and booms are necessary for different recording sessions.

Go to google shopping and take a look at the variety and price points; maybe that will help you make a selection.

Here is a low profile one that I like and only about $30.

Your shock mount is pretty light weight so a low cost smaller, less rugged stand system may work out pretty well for you.

Great going.  Good Luck all the way.

QUESTION: Thanks, also would pretty much all of these stands work then? The one you gave is nice but I prefer one that is longer and something that I can stand and sing with. I'm not actually too worried about the stand itself but I just want to make sure that my mount will work with all of them.

Mic stands and booms have standard fittings; that is the threads will match all the connection points and in special cases there are adapters to make one pipe fit another.

The application includes the weight of the mid and wind screen, the reach you want and the facility you are using. It is really a very subjective thing that you must decide.  If you are near a professional studio - in your city - go in and ask them to let you look around and get the feel of the various mike stands they use.

Also, if you have a Sam Ash store (or music store similar to Sam Ash) they can be of great help; they really know this business and can advise you on the mic and stand set up that would be best for you.  They are some of the smartest people around.

Sam Ash has about 75 stores and most of them are in the USA.  

All the best.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers