Audio Systems/how clip (peak) protection work in poweramplifier

i just want to know that if 15" 300 watts 8 ohms double column that means 600 watts at 4 ohms connected with poweramplifier gives 1120 watts at 4 ohms and during operation when it peak then what it indicate ?
1 - speaker are overloaded
2 - amplifier overloaded
3 - also explain that whether limiter protect speaker or poweramplifier. it it protect both and then how it works explain it.
thank you

It depends on the circuitry of the amplifier.  Some, mostly automobile amps, have built in protection so as not to short down the cars battery and electrical system.  They  will usually go into overload if the amp is pushed too hard (which happens during loud passages with lots of bass sounds in the music).  It turns out that bass sounds - under 100 Hz - eats up great amounts of audio power.

However, in your system which is way over electric power compared with ratings of loudspeakers the greatest threat is burning out the voice coils of the drivers in your speaker box.  Since you can put 600 watts into each speaker from the amplifier you would hear clipping or clapping of the speaker systems for a while before they burned out or locked up.  So, keep the volume level down low enough so as not to over power the speakers and you will be alright.

The greatest control of the system is proper use and realistic adjustments of the level control.

Happy listening.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers