Audio Systems/Home theater

Is the Sony STR-DN1040 7.2 Channel 1155-Watt A/V Receiver a good match up with 4 polk audio 75t speakers? Will it drive them? I'm looking for something really loud at times, then something that delivers good sound at more moderate volume levels. I know about what receiver watts really mean, and that the 1155 is only 1 channel driven, I just don't know how that breaks down mathematically with all 7 channels driven. I also know about speaker efficiency and just about all polk speakers boast 1 watt 93db. I am just so new to all this that I don't know how that translates. I don't want to make such an investment just to have it suck. Thanks.

Final opinion is when you listen to it with your own ears.  But, electrically, electronically and acoustical there is no problem with the system you are proposing.  You can drive the Polk speakers adequately with the amount of power provided by the Sony receiver.

You should, if possible, purchase the items from a reliable seller who will, if you don't like the final result, you can return them for credit or replacement.  Some require a small restocking fee but that is not a big deterrent if you find out you really don't like the sound quality.  The speakers are nearly always the more important part of the sound quality equation and I strongly urge you to audition them at some listening room before making the final decision.

Lots of personal taste goes into deciding if you like the sound of a given speaker model.

Best wishes.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers