Audio Systems/Yamaha Receiver and Yamaha Subwoofer

Receiver is a Yamaha rx-v465 and the Yamaha subwoofer is a yst-sw215.This receiver and subwoofer are five years old but wanted to ask your opinion on how to set up some speakers I just bought. I bought some klipsch speakers to go with my Yamaha equipment. I have three front speakers and two speakers for the back and set it up with a device from Best Buy that enables the back speakers to work without wires as we have wooden floors and cannot run wire. The speakers work great with the Yamaha receiver and subwoofer. My problem is I have two overhead speakers wired to come out of the wall by the tv set but cannot find the proper place to plug them in to either the receiver or the subwoofer to make them work. Is that because my receiver is just 5.1 and will only work for 5 speakers or is there anyway to set it up for 7 speakers? Thanks for any help on this.

Yes, the Yamaha receiver you have has only 5 amplifiers inside.

You did not say how the wireless transmitter to your back speakers is connected.  If the signals to the wireless device are being fed from internal to the amplifier and the speaker outputs are not bing used you could connect the overhead speakers to the two empty amplifiers.

Alternate option is to connect the front speakers and overhead speakers in  parallel if the impedance ratings are high enough to not overload the amplifiers.

Another alternate would be to purchase a stereo power amplifier just for feeding the overheads and feed it from the preamp outputs on the receiver.

The subwoofer you have is self powered and has its own built-in amplifier so it should be okey.

But somehow you must get audio power to the overheads.  I gave you three options to consider.

Hope this helps.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers