Audio Systems/Audio Output Not Right

Question
Hi Jerry,

I'm having some trouble diagnosing the sound issue I'm having with my record player's audio output.

My record player has white and red cables that I have running to a Sony amplifier model no str-de197 amplifier. The amplifier has a "Phones" input which fits a guitar cable shaped adapter which allows me to plug in headphones or speakers.

I get sound, and it's decent for some songs, but on others certain sounds are barely discernible. For instance, I'll play a song that I know the guitar should be louder on, and it will be quiet. Or maybe the voice is lower on another song.

I messed with the balance settings, and nothing seemed to work.

My hunch is that the adapter I'm using is not ideal for what I'm trying to do.

I also could go get speakers that have speaker wire (the red and red/black) to go straight into the amplifier if you think that would work.

Thanks!
Toshy

Answer
Hi Toshy,
Good news and bad news but the bad news is not that expensive.
You amp has no provision for a record player audio input or a ground terminal for it. The 'phones' input is for headphones.
You need one of these phono preamps.
http://www.phonopreamps.com/
They start around 25.00 but I suggest the TCC TC-750 at <$50.00 due to its signal to noise ratio.  http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc750pp.html

Thanks for using AllExperts and let me know if you need any further advice.

Jerry Mael

Audio Systems

Jerry Mael