Audio Systems/Speaker Tweeter Question

Question
speaker
speaker  

tweeter
tweeter  
Hi Cleggsan!

I have a doubt. I want to buy a pair of used studio monitors but looking at the pictures of one of them I noticed a little imperfection on its tweeter. The owner said that is a kind of "crinkle" that was there since the beggining, and that he never had some performance issue with the speakers.

Is this a serious problem? should I buy this speakers?

Thank you a lot for you help.

Sincerely,

David

Answer
It's hard to tell from the picture. However, it is common to get what looks like a defect but in reality has little if nothing to do with the performance.  And, even though there may be some small degradation of performance the audibility is likely zero.

But, the final proof as to whether it is objectionable is in the sound quality.  If the 'crinkle' is serious it will be audible.  And, I doubt you will be able to hear it because the crinkle will emit harmonics above the audio and at a very low level making it more and more inaudible to the human ear.

Without testing or hearing I cannot be certain but my guess is the speaker are okey assuming all other aspects are agreeable to you.

Best wishes.  

Audio Systems

Cleggsan